Frequently Asked Questions Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to study abroad for an entire academic year?
It depends on your degree or school; if you are on a degree with a compulsory year abroad then you must study abroad for the entire academic year, but this may be split over two Universities or continents, again depending on your school. The split year option is currently only available to students in AMS, ART, DEV, ECO and LCS. A year abroad is always taken in the third year.
Optional semester abroad on three year degrees are available to:

  • AMA (including FTM, ART, AMS)
  • HIS
  • LDC 
  • PPL - PHI
  • PPL – PSI

When do I need to provide proof of funds?
During the application process. This is for the visa application and is required to prove you have enough funds to cover all your living costs the duration of your study abroad and then leave the country. This will be after you have been allocated to your study abroad placement in the autumn term of your second year, so generally January-April. This is prior to your visa application and actual costs can be less than this figure. 

How much do I need in my proof of funds? 
This figure is provided to you by your allocated university, so it is on a university by university basis. It often varies per state in US i.e. California, New York State and Hawaii are more expensive. We cannot say how much each university is going to ask you to provide for the VISA application, however, proof of funds is NOT necessarily the amount that you will be spending on your year abroad. 

When should I start saving money?
It is never too early to start saving for your year abroad. Whilst having the opportunity for academic growth, your year abroad is also about getting as many life experiences as you can. Unfortunately, this often requires a little additional money, so it doesn’t hurt to start saving your Christmas and birthday money from your first year onwards. 

When is the deadline for preferences? 
Study Abroad preference deadlines are as follows: 
For a year abroad: The application deadline is in the November of your second year. 
Semester abroad: The application deadline will be in the Spring semester of your 1st year.

I’m on a three year programme but I want to change to a four year with compulsory year abroad, is this possible?
We are very pleased to register interest in studying abroad from any student who would like to transfer to a degree with a year abroad so that they can receive all the information and invitations to events. We regularly check spaces available and will consdier a student's transfer request during the first or second year at UEA. Please contact us on or visit our reception desk in the Arts Hub - Monday-Friday 9am-5pm. Also contact your School's Study Abroad Co-ordinator for academic advice and support of your transfer request.

How are spaces allocated? 

Spaces are allocated per school annually, and on the basis of your first year (or for semester abroad – first semester) marks and a personal statement.

Why is there an option listed on the website that is not on my school of study option list? 
Schools have vetted certain Partner Universities and checked that module availability abroad matches what a student will need when studying abroad. If your school has not vetted a partner, the partner will not appear on your option list. Also, UEA receives a limited number of spaces at each partner university every year, and some years the offer of spaces may be very low. Consequently our most popular partners will not be offered to all schools every year. Students must make their final selection based on the option list given out and not on the website list.

What is the academic standard I need to meet to study abroad? 

Please refer to The Regulations for Bachelors, Integrated Masters Awards and Certificates because the regulations vary between Schools.  This is also available from your Academic Calendar via your portal.  

I only want to go to one university – can I still apply? 
Please be flexible and do not get your heart set one particular university. We cannot guarantee that each university will be available for your school and for the year you are outbound. The higher your grade in the first year, the earlier you will be allocated. We may need 5-10 choices as part of your preferences allocation so you will need to be flexible. NB: some partners have a minimum grade, e.g. 60-70%, so please bear that in mind.

Can I think after my allocation? 
Yes, we will give you time to research and commit your year abroad (except for language students as you have to go!).

Where is the Study Abroad Library? 
Information from all our partners including information with regards to campus, student life, modules, costs etc. and returning student questionnaires can be found in the Arts Hub, by our reception desk.

What tuition fees will I need to pay when studying abroad? 

  • Whilst studying abroad you will still pay tuition fee to UEA and NOT to the host university.
  • If you are studying for an entire academic year your tuition fees to UEA will be reduced to 15% (Home and EU students) or Internationals students’ tuition fees are reduced by 25%. Please note if you receive the UEA Bursary then your bursary will be also be reduced to 15% accordingly. 
  • If you are spending a semester abroad you will still need to pay the standard tuition fee to UEA

More information can be found in the Study Abroad guides section.