For mobility to and from UEA, students are strongly encouraged to purchase their own travel and medical insurance to cover them for their mobility period, whether studying at UEA or at another University or Enterprise.

UEA does not provide automatic personal insurance cover for individual students.

Travel Insurance

It is a mandatory requirement for all UEA students going abroad for work or study to arrange their own travel insurance to provide cover for the entire period of travel. This should provide cover for travel disruption and unexpected medical cover.

Medical Insurance

Students should arrange specific medical insurance for the entire duration of the placement to cover pre-existing and emergency medical conditions for the full period of their placement. 

Please note some travel insurance policies will not recognise a study/work placement as eligible under their terms and conditions. Therefore, discuss the full purpose of your travel with your insurance provider to ensure that your full placement will be eligible for cover under your chosen policy.

It is recommended that you purchase full medical insurance for the entire duration of your placement.

Personal Insurance

Students are recommended to ensure they are covered within any insurance policy for their personal possessions. This may require an additional policy if not fully Students should ensure they are covered within any insurance policy for personal possessions. Always discuss single item and cash insurance cover with your insurance provider. This may require additional cover to a standard travel policy.

Public Liability Insurance

The University holds Public Liability insurance, which can cover 3rd party claims, where the University has been deemed liable.

For general information on the insurance suitable for students, please contact the UEA Students Union Advice Centre on