Choosing to live away from the University Choosing to live away from the University

Norwich is a safe and beautiful place to live. With a huge private rental market offering great value properties all over the city, there is sure to be the perfect place for you.

UEA is here to help and advise even if you are living off-site and so please contact the Student Union Advice Centre for details of houses, flats, bedsits and lodgings available for rental in the private sector. The SUAC can also give you access to an online 'housing list', as well as offering general advice and information. However, it is your responsibility to deal directly with the agent or landlord when making accommodation arrangements.

As accommodation in residences is limited to one year, most students will have to find accommodation in the private sector for their second year and throughout the rest of their course.

The Student Union holds a 'housing event' each year (usually January/February), when the first housing list for the following academic year is released. This is an invaluable resource for students finding private accommodation for the first time, and students are strongly advised not to start looking for private housing until after the housing event.

Houses, flats and bedsits are nearly always furnished but you should expect to provide bedding, crockery, cutlery and cooking utensils.

You are advised to enter into a legal contract with the householder. If you have any doubts over the wording or content of the contract, the Welfare Officer in the Union of Students is available for free consultation without appointment. The Union of Students also provides information in the form of a House Hunting Guide.

Useful Contact Information Useful Contact Information

Student Union Advice Centre for Private Sector Housing

Telephone: 01603 592505

SU Homerun Service


Student Union Welfare Officer
Telephone: 01603 593463

Local Newspapers

Eastern Daily Press
Evening News