Academic lead: Dr Usha Sundaram
Accreditation: 20 UCU/10 ECTS
Academic level: Undergraduate level 5
Are you fascinated by the world of brands and branding? Do you wonder about how advertising brings to life the power of brands, making them resonate with our emotions?
Branding is the essence of creating a distinctive product or service that has market appeal and which consumers instantly recognise. Learn why the world’s most successful brands are so recognisable through how they are presented and advertised. Gain invaluable insights on the methods of marketing that work to connect brands with consumers and help propel sales through traditional media, like press and TV adverts, but also increasingly through digital marketing via the internet and social media.
This intensive and interactive module will help you explore the connection between advertising and marketing communication techniques and how they shape brand messages. Providing theory and practice of building and maintaining successful brands and communicating them to the target market, alongside hands on activities to understand how advertising campaigns are designed, developed and managed. You'll also get hands-on experience of creating advertisements, posters, TV commercials, event marketing campaigns, social media strategy, and website design.
Field trips may include
BBC Voices Workshop (The Forum, Norwich), London’s Museum of Brands and The History of Advertising Trust.
See our 2018 students work
By the end of the module students will be able to
- Understand, apply, and analyse theories of marketing communications in a practical manner
- Create an actual marketing and branding campaign using a variety of advertising and promotional methods
- Create an actual visual advertisement (moving or still) using production techniques learned on the module
- Create and communicate a digital marketing campaign including the basics of a mobile optimised website, a search engine plan, and an effective social media campaign
- Present your findings to an audience and communicate your brand values
None – Some basic understanding of the world of business and advertising would be advantageous.
Hear from our Alumni!
"Our professors were the best. They were enthusiastic and devoted to their students. I won't forget them!" Ludmilla from Brazil, Branding, Advertising and Digital Marketing 2017
“I have picked up cross cultural communication skills and learnt to work with people from different places” Grace from Singapore, Branding, Advertising and Digital Marketing 2018