Who can apply
To be able to apply for a new Tier 4 student visa from within the UK you must:
- Have a valid Tier 4 visa (or another type that allows you to switch to a Tier 4 visa)
- Have a Certificate of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) statement
- Meet all the requirements
- Have the required funds in your bank account for 28 days prior to applying
You cannot apply from the UK if:
- Your visa expires more than 1 month before your next course will start
- You currently have a short-term study visa or any other type of visitor visa
- Your current visa is a dependant visa
- There may be other cases that will not allow you to apply from within the UK, please read the Tier 4 Policy Guidance carefully.
If these affect you, then you must return home to apply for a new visa from outside the UK.
When to apply
The earliest you can apply is 3 months before your visa expires or 3 months before the start of a new course. This is also the earliest you can get your CAS from UEA.
You must apply before your current visa expires. The date of your application is the date you pay the application fee and submit your application online.
Starting a new course from another institution
If you are starting a new course at UEA and have a Tier 4 visa for another institution (not including INTO UEA), you must apply for a new Tier 4 visa before you can start your course at UEA.
Starting a new course within UEA or from INTO UEA
If you are a current UEA student or INTO UEA student and are going to be starting a new course at UEA, you must apply within 6 weeks of your course start date (or before your visa expiry date).
How to apply
The following steps are for the Standard Service.
1. Prepare to meet all the requirements and to get all the required documents ready to apply. Preparing your finances is the main requirement that you need to do in advance. If you are using a bank account, you need to show the total funds required for 28 days. Other financial documents may also take time to prepare, so start early. Also prepare how and when you are going to apply. It is also essential that you know the requirements and rules.
2. Obtain a CAS Statement from UEA. If you are required to have an ATAS Certificate, you must apply for this before you are able to get your CAS.
3. Get your application and documents checked by UEA Student Support before applying, see Visa Application Service for more information.
5. Fill out the online application form on the GOV.UK website. At this point you will be required to pay the Immigration Healthcare Surcharge (IHS) and application fee.
6. Print off your Document Checklist and biometric letter
7. Submit your supporting documents and checklist to the UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) department by post, and print your biometric letter to take with you when you give your biometrics.
Remember if you are applying within the Tier 4 Pilot Scheme or the Differentiation Arrangements you will not need to submit all your supporting documents.
6. Give your biometrics (a photograph, fingerprints and signature) at the Post Office on St Stephens Street in the WH Smiths in Norwich.
7. You may be randomly selected to attend a credibility interview with the UK Visa and Immigration department. If this is the case, you will receive an email with more details. The interviews are not in Norwich and you will need to travel to attend it.
8. Receive your visa in the form of a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card.
Your passport and visa will be sent to UEA Student Support if you applied through the Visa Application Service, or your home address if not. If you applied in-person at a Public Enquiry Office (PEO), normally your visa will be sent to you by courier within 5-7 working days of your appointment.
Length of application
It normally takes 1-2 months to get your visa.
- UKCISA's 'Making a Tier 4 (General) application in the UK'
- UKCISA Student Advice Line offers free immigration advice for students: 020 3131 3576 (open Monday – Friday 1 – 4pm)
- GOV.UK Tier 4 visa information
- Home Office Tier 4 Policy Guidance
- Home Office Photograph Guidance
- ATAS – Academic Technology Approval Scheme
- OANDA Currency Converter
- ISAT Tier 4 Visa Help Guide