Find out more about the other visa options in the UK for students and graduates.

Tier 2: General visa


You can switch from a Tier 4 student visa to a Tier 2 (General) visa in the UK but you must have a job offer from an employer with a Tier 2 sponsor licence. A list of sponsors can be found on the Home Office website.

All questions regarding your application for a Tier 2 visa should be addressed to the Human Resources department of the company advertising or offering you the position. If you are unsure whether an employer could sponsor you under Tier 2 for a job you have seen advertised, we recommend that you contact them and enquire before you proceed with an application.

If you want to be employed at UEA with this visa please contact for more information.

The employer must issue a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) to support your application.

The job must be a graduate-level job (RQF Level 6+)

The minimum salary is £20,800 for those switching from Tier 4, £30,000 for everyone else. You can check the RQF level and minimum salary for a particular job here.

Usually, the job must have been advertised and no UK resident worker found to fill the position (Resident Labour Market Test).  However, most Tier 4 students who have recently graduated or have completed over 12 months of a PhD are exempt from this requirement.

You will have to prove that you have English language skills but your UK degree will meet this requirement.

You must meet financial maintenance requirements: bank statement showing £945 for 90 days OR your employer is an A-rated sponsor and ticks a box on the CoS to certify they will maintain and accommodate you for the first month.

If you apply for Tier 2 after getting your results you can start your Tier 2 job immediately. This is because Tier 4 leave that was granted before 1 October 2019 includes a work condition that allows you to start a permanent job if you applied for Tier 2 having "successfully completed" your course. If your Tier 4 visa is issued on or after 1 October 2019 at the end of your course you will be allowed to start a Tier 2 job as soon as you have made the Tier 2 application.

Tier 4: Doctorate extension scheme


If you are a PhD (or equivalent) student and are interested in gaining experience in the UK at the end of your degree, then extending your Tier 4 visa under the Doctorate Extension Scheme (DES) may be a good option for you.

This 12 month visa extension allows students and their dependants to extend their Tier 4 visas to allow them to look for and start employment or set up as a business in the UK. There are fewer work restrictions and you do not need to have a job offer to apply for this visa. You will need a new CAS number issued by UEA to submit with your visa application. Your DES visa will expire 12 months after your award date.

If you are interested and you need further information please make an appointment to see an International Student Adviser in the Student Support Centre. The application for the Doctorate Extension Scheme must be submitted through one of our Advisers in the Student Support Centre.

Tier 5: Youth mobility scheme visa


This is a 2-year working visa for applicants aged 18-30 with one of these nationalities: Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Monaco, Taiwan, South Korea, Hong Kong, and British Overseas Citizens/Nationals.

It must be applied for from your home country and cannot be extended.

Tier 5: Government authorised exchange


Graduates seeking internship opportunities on a temporary basis may want to approach employers willing to subscribe to the Tier 5 (Government Authorised Exchange) scheme which is designed to enable applicants to gain work experience, conduct research, or take a training position for 12 or 24 months.

If you are a researcher, academic, scientist and other skilled technology specialist interested in coming to UEA with this visa please contact for more information.

This can be a suitable visa if you are seeking an internship position (work experience).

Work experience under Tier 5 (Government Authorised Exchange) is limited to 12 months.

The employer is not permitted to offer you employment following the internship or work placement. It is a condition of the visa that you leave the UK at the end of the visa period.

The Tier 5 Government Authorised Exchange Scheme enables researchers, including academics, scientists and other skilled technology specialists to come to the UK on a temporary basis to take part in any formal research project where they are hosted at UEA.

Start-up visa


The Start-up visa is a new category of Visa for early stage but high potential entrepreneurs who are starting a business in the UK for the first time. It gives holders a 2-year period to develop their business and requires an endorsement from a participating institution, such as UEA. To secure a letter of endorsement, applicants will need to demonstrate a business idea that is innovative, viable, and scalable.

Please note that UEA can only accept applications from UEA students and graduates, and are unable to endorse non-UEA applicants.

Graduate route


The Graduate route is a new Post-study Work visa for the UK which is expected to come into force in 2021. It is proposed to be a separate visa, available to graduating students holding valid Tier 4 visas, which would allow an individual to work for two years in the UK.

The route will only be available to students entering the UK from the 2020-21 academic year onwards and completing their courses in the summer of 2021 onwards. One exception to this would be for PhD students where it could be available to any RQF8 student graduating in 2021 onwards irrespective of when their course commenced.

All details regarding the Graduate route remain unconfirmed. As soon as these details are finalised we will update the information available.