Dual Nationality means that you are a citizen of two countries at the same time. This may be because of where you were born or the nationality of your parents, grandparents or spouse. You will have two passports or be entitled to two passports.

When you apply to UEA and for your visa, you will need to think about how each nationality impacts on your studies at UEA. There may be implications on:

  • Your fees
  • Whether you need a visa
  • The risk level of your visa application
  • Whether you can apply for Student Finance in the UK

As well as your nationality, where you have been living for the past three years and the reason for living outside the UK will be taken into account in deciding whether you will be classified as a ‘Home’ or ‘Overseas’ student.

For example, if you were born in the US to British parents and had both US and UK passports, you would be able to study in the UK without a visa. However, if you had always lived in the US then you may have to pay overseas fees and be unable to get a student loan from Student Finance England (SFE).

When you have decided which of your nationalities is most appropriate for your applications you should consider that your “primary” nationality, in respect of your time as an international student, and should use that documentation for all of your dealings with UEA and UKVI. This includes your applications, travel to the UK, when you register at UEA and when you travel home during vacations.

Please contact us if you would like to discuss how your dual nationality will affect your application to and studies at UEA.

Further Information: