Family life is important, and you should be able to keep your family together if you choose to study at UEA. If you are a government sponsored student, or an on a Master’s or PhD course, you are able to apply for Tier 4 dependant visas for your dependant children and spouse.

They can apply at the same time as you, or they can apply to join you later. In the same way that the main applicant does, they will each have to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) to fund their Healthcare while they are here, and you will have to demonstrate that you have the funds available to support them while you are in the UK. You will need to show £680 per month for each dependant, up to a maximum of nine months: £6,120. This can be through a sponsorship letter, if your dependants are also named as being supported, or by showing savings in an account for 28 days before the application is made.

A Tier 4 dependant is able to work in the UK except:

  • They cannot work as a professional sportsperson, which includes a sports coach.
  • They cannot work as a doctor or dentist in training unless they have a degree in medicine or dentistry from a UK institution or have previously been granted a UK visa that did not restrict their employment as a doctor or dentist in training and were employed as such during that period.

Your children will be able to enrol in local schools and childcare provision as education does not count as “public funds.”

If you have a baby while you are in the UK, Congratulations. Your baby will be covered by their Mother’s IHS until they are 3 months old. After that they will need to have their own Tier 4 visa and have paid the IHS or they will be liable to medical bills if they need treatment. To get a Tier 4 visa for your new baby they will have to have a passport from your home country, and you will need to make a visa application on their behalf.

Student Life (International) Advisers, can support you to make your application whether you and your family are in the UK or not. They can also offer advice and guidance in settling into life in the UK. Please contact us to start the process.


Further Information