With Sixth form or College is around the corner, you may already be considering University. But what can you expect from student life?
Destination 16 is aimed at Year 11 school leavers who are going on to study at College or Sixth form. This unique residential will help you to establish new skills and habits for when you start Year 12 as well as equip you with vital information about applying to study at university if you choose to go.
You will get to meet new friends, experience time away from home, try out different subjects and see how studying at degree level is different from school.
Spend three days and two nights at UEA trying out a range of activities, learning new skills and asking lots of questions about student life.
If you are leaving Year 11 this year, then you could attend a UEA Summer School. It’s all completely free!
Places are only open to students from schools in Norfolk and Suffolk. Priority will be given to students who come from communities with little experience or tradition of going to university. For example:
- You are in care or are a care leaver;
- You are a young carer or;
- You have a disability, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty or;
- Not many people from your school or where you live go to university or;
- Your household income is less than £25,000
Destination 16 is not open to:
Students who attend private or independent schools - this includes those awarded bursaries or scholarships
- International students
- Students outside of Year 11
- Those who do not currently attend a Norfolk or Suffolk school
What happens at Destination 16?
- Attend lectures and academic taster sessions during the day. Visit different schools of study and faculties, speak to lecturers and students about subjects that interest you.
- Discover what student life looks like outside of the classroom. You will have the choice of a variety of club and society sessions as well as a night out outside of the campus.
- Stay in your own university bedroom complete with your own bathroom. Bedrooms are located on campus within flats filled with your new friends.
- Explore UEA’s extensive campus and learn the difference between a campus and city university. Experience independence in a safe and friendly environment.
- Prepare to start Year 12 with a range of new study skills and armed with information to help you prepare for applying to university.
When is it?
Destination 16 is taking place a week after GCSE results day and before you start Sixth Form or College.
29 - 31 August 2018.
How do I apply?
Applications for our 2018 events have now closed. We will be contacting people to let them know if they have a place by 22nd June 2018.
Please note that you will need a teachers email address as we will need to ask them for a reference. Please ensure you let them know! We also accept references from associated social or professional workers; for existing applicants, the deadline for references is 15th June 2018.
I'm not sure if I would fit the criteria
If you have any questions relating to summer schools or eligibility, please contact us at email@example.com or call us on 01603 591521
What have previous attendees said?
"It was full of information about being at uni and the whole experience gave me more insight".
"Able to experience lectures, seminars, accommodation and get a full sense of how university".