Ever wondered what life would be like at university? Every year we run Summer Schools for year 10 students to let them see if university is for them.
Come and stay with us for a couple of nights in your very own student bedroom. Discover what happens at lectures, meet new friends from all over Norfolk and North Suffolk.
Year 10 summer schools are three days and two nights in length. During the daytime you’ll get to study and explore new things. At night you’ll be able to relax, have fun and spend your evening in a real student bedroom, complete with your own bathroom.
If you are currently in Year 10 then you could attend a UEA Summer School. It’s all completely free!
Places are only open to students from schools in Norfolk and Suffolk. Priority will be given to students who come from communities with little experience or tradition of going to university. For example:
- You are in care or are a care leaver;
- You are a young carer or;
- You have a disability, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty or;
- Not many people from your school or where you live go to university or;
- Your household income is less than £25,000
The Year 10 Summer School is not open to:
- Students who attend private or independent schools - this includes those awarded bursaries or scholarships
- International students
- Students outside of Year 10
- Those who do not currently attend a Norfolk or Suffolk school.
What happens at Summer School?
- You’ll meet student ambassadors who will guide you around the campus during your stay. Whenever you need help, guidance or are unsure what to do next, they will be there.
- What are lectures and faculties actually like? Explore schools of study, talk to students enrolled in courses that have caught your interest. Ask questions about any aspect of university life.
- Explore our beautiful university campus. Check out the famous UEA LCR where bands like Ed Sheeran, Sub Focus and Ellie Golding have played. Visit the Sportspark and even take a walk around the beautiful UEA Lake.
- Experience some activities students get involved in during their free time. UEA will give you a selection of clubs and society sessions to choose from as well as taking you out for the evening.
When is it?
We run 2 summer schools aimed at Year 10 students. The programme is the same on both events, but the workshops offered may vary slighty.
Year 10a - 8 - 10 August 2018
Year 10b - 22 - 24 August 2018
How do I apply?
Applications for our 2018 events have now closed. We will be contacting people to let them know if they have a place by 22nd June 2018.
Please note that you will need a teachers email address as we will need to ask them for a reference. Please ensure you let them know! We also accept references from associated social or professional workers; for existing applicants, the deadline for references is 15th June 2018.
I'm not sure if I would fit the criteria
If you have any questions relating to summer schools or eligibility, please contact us at email@example.com or call us on 01603 591521.
What have previous attendees said?
"It was full of information about being at uni and the whole experience gave me more insight"
"The ambassadors have been here for many years and so I think it would be hard for them to create an unrealistic experience"