APPLICATIONS FOR 2019 WILL OPEN IN SEPTEMBER
To find out if you are eligible to apply to Medical Aspirations, please check the criteria below.
- Live in Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire, Peterborough or selected areas of Essex*
- Be in year 12
- Have the GCSE grades needed for one of the UEA medical courses. If students are planning on retaking GCSEs to achieve this level they are still eligible to apply but need to outline this in their application. Entry requirements can be found at www.uea.ac.uk/med
*You must attend one of the following sixth forms/colleges: The Sixth Form College Colchester, Havering Sixth Form College or SEEVIC College, OR you currently attend or attended (before sixth form/college) a school where 25% or more pupils are eligible for pupil premium funding/free school meals at any time during the past 6 years – see list.
You must also meet at least one of the following criteria:
- No family experience of Higher Education (i.e. university degree, HND, HNC, teacher training in this country)
- Household income for the tax year 2017/2018 is less than £35,000
- Have been in or currently in Local Authority care (not applicable for adopted students).
The scheme is to help aspiring medics from areas and schools where the number of applications is normally low. This means we may also consider your home postcode and school.
We will also take into account a short supporting statement (no more than 100 words) covering 'why you want to participate in the Medical Aspirations scheme'.
How do you decide who is offered a place?
We will look through all eligible applications and score them based on the above criteria. We will then select the 40 students with the highest score and offer them a place!