Through my parents work I was fortunate enough to spend long periods of time in China as I was growing up. My B.A. in East Asian Politics and Economy, including a two year long stay in Sichuan helped me further explore and immerse myself into the contemporary culture and politics of this fascinating country. During my stay in Sichuan the region was struck by the 7.9 strong Wenchuan Earthquake. After volunteering in the humanitarian response, I was hired by ‘Sichuan Quake Relief’ as their programme and project manager. This experience helped me realise that I wanted to further my knowledge in the field of humanitarian response and development. For that reason I worked as a programme manager at the JUMP! Foundation and then studied Media and International Development at the University of East Anglia. I am currently a funded PhD candidate at the University of East Anglia, researching participatory communication and disaster resilience in the Philippines after Typhoon Yolanda/Haiyan.
- Broadcasting reassurance: post-typhoon weather reports, Commonwealth Broadcasting Association, February 13th 2014 http://www.cba.org.uk/featured/broadcasting-reassurance-post-typhoon/#sthash.k5lGSaYY.dpuf
- Repairing radios part of Filipino post-typhoon recovery, Commonwealth Broadcasting Association, December 30th 2013 http://www.cba.org.uk/latest/repairing-radios-part-of-filipino-post-typhoon-recovery/#sthash.dgvYN4aA.dpuf
- After the typhoon: rebuilding with radio in the Philippines, Commonwealth Broadcasting Association, December 11th 2013 http://www.cba.org.uk/latest/after-the-typhoon-rebuilding-with-radio-in-the-philippines/#sthash.5Z66C9oF.dpuf
- Nach dem Erdbeben von Wenchuan, Zivilgesellschaftliches Engagement chinesischer Studenten (After the Wenchuan Earthquake, Volunteerism of Chinese Students in Sichuan), DianMo No. 12, July 2011
- Der Westen kann viel von China lernen (The West can learn a lot from China), Interview with Bei Ling, Die Tageszeitung, October 16th 2009 http://www.taz.de/1/archiv/print-archiv/printressorts/digi-artikel/?ressort=sw&dig=2009%2F10%2F16%2Fa0008&cHash=b74dc3ed30
- Unter Ihren Truemmern (Underneath Their Debris), DianMo No. 06, August 2009 http://dianmo.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/dianmo_web_ausgabe06-2009.pdf
- Nach dem Beben, Ein Tag im Katastrophengebiet (After The Quake, A Day In The Affected Area), DianMo No. 02, August 2008 http://dianmo.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dianmo-no-2-august-2008.pdf
- Editor in Chief at Stimmen aus China: January 2010 - Present
Topic planning, organising monthly issues of SACs blog, editing translations, acquiring and maintaining media and university partnerships, organising annual conference/workshop, translating from Chinese to German, Social Media, HR.
- Programme Manager at JUMP! Foundation: May 2011 - August 2011
Logistics, Chinese Language Class Organisation, Finances and On-Site Management
- Programme Manager at Ruhr-Universität Bochum: October 2008 - August 2010
Organising the cultural programme of Chinese students at their one year study visit to Ruhr University (including group trips in Germany in Europe).
- Freelance Journalist at TAZ - Die Tageszeitung: October 2009 - October 2009
Translating articles from Chinese to German, writing articles, conducting interviews at the Frankfurt Bookfair, assisting Chinese colleagues in their journalistic work.
- Project and Programme Manager at Sichuan Quake Relief: 2008 - 2009
Project manager – responsible for volunteer management, NGO coordination, media contacts, project management, fundraising and coordination of the SQR research team.
- M.A. in Media and International Development, University of East Anglia, England
- Three semesters of Language, Contemporary Culture and Politics Studies, Sichuan University, PR China
- B.A. in East Asian Politics and Economy, minor in Chinese, Ruhr-University Bochum, Germany
Key Research Interests
I am especially interested in the field of Communication for Development (C4D), in particular participatory communication and how it relates to Humanitarian Response and resilience building.
Media, Communication and Humanitarian Response.
External Activities and Indicators of Esteem
December 2013 – February 2014: Volunteer
Documentation Associate for the Internews Humanitarian Information Service as part of the Typhoon Haiyan Response in the Philippines.
PSI GSSC Student Representative.