Welcome to the Mind the Gap! project website.
It is enshrined in law throughout Europe that all persons have the right to live their lives free from violence and abuse. Mind the Gap! endeavours to reinforce this right by highlighting intimate partner violence (IPV) experienced by older women.
The need for such action was identified in 2010, by the Intimate Partner Violence Against Older Women (IPVoW) study, funded by the EC DAPHNE Programme, which found that the highly complex issue of IPV is often further compounded by the dynamics of ageing - a factor which is frequently not recognised or sufficiently understood by law enforcement and social support practitioners.
‘Mind the Gap!' is a Europe-wide project, involving 6 countries, which follows on from IPVoW by pursuing the following aims:
- Gain further insight into possible efficient, effective and adequate interventions and support by law enforcement agencies in respect of intimate partner violence (IPV).
- Raise awareness within law enforcement and social support agencies about older women as victims of IPV.
- Encourage agencies to tackle the problem and to improve outreach to this subgroup of victims.
- Build the capacity of law enforcement and social support agencies so that they can respond to and intervene successfully in these cases.
In order to achieve the aims of the project, the following objectives were pursued:
- Research law enforcement interventions into cases of IPV against older women
- Research social support organisations interventions into cases of IPV involving older women
- Develop guidance aimed at improving the capacity of social support agencies to intervene in situations of intimate partner violence against older women
- Develop guidance aimed at improving the capacity of police and CPS to intervene in situations of intimate partner violence against older women
- Develop training material aimed at improving the capacity of police and CPS to tackle intimate partner violence against older women
- Develop publicity and campaign materials aimed at increasing awareness of older women, professionals, practitioners and the general public about intimate partner violence against older women
Please follow the links to the pages of this website for more detailed information about the outcomes of the project.