- Lecturer in Health Psychology, Norwich Medical School (MED), UEA, Oct 2003 - present
- Senior Research Associate, MED, UEA, Apr - Sep 2003
- Research Associate, MED, UEA, Aug 1999- Mar 2003
- Research Assistant, School of Health Sciences, Deakin University, Melbourne, Australia, Oct 1998 - May 1999
- Mental Health Program Co-ordinator, Administrative Officer/Assistant, Project Officer/Assistant, Central Bayside Division of General Practice, Melbourne, Australia, Jun 1996 - Oct 1998
- Research Assistant, United Bristol Healthcare Trust Research & Development Support Unit (RDSU), Department of Social Medicine, University of Bristol, Sep 1995 - Mar 1996
- PhD in Health Psychology, University of East Anglia (UEA) 2008
- Post-graduate Certificate in Higher Education Practice, UEA, 2006
- Post-graduate Diploma in Health Sciences, UEA, 2002
- BSc (Hons) Psychology, University of Nottingham, 1995
Developing and implementing an integrated delirium prevention system of care: a theory driven, participatory research study,
in BMC Health Services Research
article no. 341Full Text UEA Repository
Asthma at-risk registers--can be effective if carefully constructed and correctly implemented,
in Primary Care Respiratory Journal
pp. 135-6Full Text UEA Repository
Gene-associated markers provide tools for tackling illegal fishing and false eco-certification,
in Nature Communications
pp. 851Full Text UEA Repository
Using psychology to help your medical practice.,
in Health, Behaviour & Society: A companion to clinical medicine.
Learning MattersUEA Repository
The interaction of psychological factors with illness, disease and treatment,
in Health, Behaviour & Society : Clinical Medicine in Context .
ISBN 9780857254610UEA Repository
in Chronic Physical Illness: Self-Management and Behavioural Interventions.
Open University Press
ISBN 978-0335217878UEA Repository
The relationship between coping and psychological and physical adjustment in rheumatoid arthritis: a literature review,
in Journal of Nursing and Healthcare of Chronic Illness
pp. 418-428Full Text UEA Repository
A systematic review of coping with arthritis,
in Journal of Clinical Nursing and Chronic Illness
pp. 418-428UEA Repository
Psychosocial factors in severe asthma in adults,
in Exacerbations of asthma.
Informa HealthcareUEA Repository
Psycho-educational interventions for adults with severe or difficult asthma: a systematic review,
in Journal of Asthma
pp. 219-241Full Text UEA Repository
Controlled retrospective pilot study of an 'at-risk asthma register' in primary care,
in Primary Care Respiratory Journal
pp. 116-124Full Text UEA Repository
A Systematic review of multidisciplinary interventions in heart failure,
pp. 899-906Full Text UEA Repository
Clinician-assessed poor compliance identifies adults with severe asthma who are at risk of adverse outcomes,
in Journal of Asthma
pp. 437-45UEA Repository
The Coping with Asthma Study: a randomised controlled trial of a home based, nurse led psychoeducational intervention for adults at risk of adverse asthma outcomes,
pp. 1003-1011Full Text UEA Repository
A systematic review to examine the impact of psycho-educational interventions on health outcomes and costs in adults and children with difficult asthma,
in Health Technology Assessment
pp. 1-182Full Text UEA Repository
Key Research Interests
My research interests lie mainly in the area of psychosocial aspects of chronic illness, with most of my work to date being focussed on asthma and arthritis. This has examined issues related to adherence, patient self-management, psychosocial factors associated with severe disease and identification of “at-risk” patients, the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of psycho-educational interventions, and patient decision-making regarding treatment. I also continue to pursue collaborative links with colleagues interested in research on physical activity, other health-related behaviours and psychosocial aspects of other health conditions.
Research Group Membership
Psychology & Psychiatry Group
Chronic Illness Research Theme
My teaching interests are broadly focussed around psychosocial aspects of health and illness, including introductory health psychology, health-related behaviour, stress and health and psychosocial aspects of chronic illness. I also contribute to research methods teaching, primarily in the areas of literature searching and systematic review.
- Provision of health psychology input to the undergraduate medical degree programme
- Previous Co-ordinator of a Masters module on Psychosocial Aspects of Health, now replaced by the Promoting Behavioural Change and Lifestyle Improvement module offered across a number of post-graduate taught programmes in the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
- Contributions to other undergraduate and postgraduate psychology and research methods teaching and supervision across the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
External Activities and Indicators of Esteem
- Invited presentations given at national Psychosocial Research in Asthma meetings and various local research seminars and one-day conferences.
- Founding member of the UK Society for Behavioural Medicine http://www.uksbm.org.uk/
- Member of the European Health Psychology Society http://www.ehps.net/1024/index.html
- Graduate Member of the British Psychological Society http://www.bps.org.uk/
- Refereeing undertaken for; National Institute for Health Research, Northern Ireland Public Health Agency, BMJ, Clinical Nursing Research.
- Thorax, Patient Education & Counselling, Applied Health Economics & Health Policy and Sage publications
- Established and organised regular meetings for a local Health and Clinical Health Psychology Interest Group. Convened a one day conference on “Psychosocial Research in Asthma” in 2001 which led to the establishment of a national research interest group for which I administered a mailing list.
- Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences Research Staff Co-ordinator 2009-2011