What do I need to do to intercalate? What do I need to do to intercalate?

Current UEA students will need to obtain a concession to intercalate (take a break in your studies) in order to register on to another course. You will need to be in good academic standing i.e. have passed all assessments, and be in good professional standing i.e. no outstanding fitness to practice issues. We hope you will choose to remain at UEA and enjoy our postgraduate courses and the many associated opportunities they provide. Norwich Medical School is able to offer some financial support to encourage our MB BS students to register on UEA postgraduate courses in 2017/18.

Whether you are an internal or external student, for further information please contact us via med.imd@uea.ac.uk to find out more

Financial advice on how intercalation affects your NHS bursary is available from Student Support Services.

frequently asked questions frequently asked questions

When can I intercalate?

Between years 3 and 4 or years 4 and 5.

What are the criteria?

You will be:

  • In good academic standing  i.e. have passed all assessments in year 4
  • In good professional standing i.e. no outstanding fitness to practice issues

I don't meet the criteria, can I still apply to intercalate?

You must make an appointment to see Dr Vassilios Vassiliou to discuss your request further:  V.Vassiliou@uea.ac.uk

UEA Students

Specific detailed information on the intercalation process can be accessed via the Portal.

Non-UEA Students

We welcome medical students from other medical schools in the UK and overseas who have successfully completed the first three years of a recognized medical degree, and who are native English speakers or can demonstrate English proficiency equivalent to IELTS 7.0 or above. Candidates should provide a letter from their medical school as evidence of leave to intercalate with us.

For additional information please contact the intercalations tutor, Dr Vassilios Vassiliou:  V.Vassiliou@uea.ac.uk   

Do I need a research passport?

Research passports are needed for researchers who have no contractual relationship with the NHS but who wish to carry out research in NHS organisations. As during your intercalation year you will be registered as a postgraduate student (and NOT an MBBS student) it is most likely you will require a research passport if you are planning to undertake research involving NHS patients or data from NHS patients. We strongly recommend that you discuss this with your supervisor at the earliest opportunity. If you are only planning to undertake laboratory work then you will most likely not require a research passport.

In some instances, you might also require additional Occupational Health clearance for lab work. It is the responsibility of the research supervisor to know whether such clearance would be required as a result of their risk assessment, to advise the student and to make the appropriate arrangements.  Please refer to the Portal for further guidance

How do I maintain my clinical skills?

For students who intercalate from the UEA MB BS for academic reasons (e.g. to register on MRes/MClinEd/MSc in health economics or other UEA higher degree), it is possible to arrange a Clinical Elective with the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital Trust. This will enable you to maintain your clinical skills in support of your return to the MB BS. This is an optional arrangement you can put in place at any time, to be operative only during the period of your registration on a UEA Masters level course during your intercalated year. The elective may be taken as a 'block' or in an intermittent fashion e.g. one afternoon a week for a couple of months depending on the availability of the student and the supervising clinician and their team. The process is as follows:

You will need to have identified a Consultant who is willing to supervise you within the NNUH hospital setting. You may wish to agree some learning outcomes for the Clinical Elective but this is optional. Suitable activities for the Clinical Elective would include history taking, examining patients and minor clinical procedures such as cannulation, phlebotomy, catheterisation etc. The Clinical Elective should not coincide with any UEA Masters level timetabled teaching or assessment. We would expect any student that arranged this to ensure your academic supervisor was fully informed and we would expect you to discuss your academic progression on a regular basis to ensure the overall balance of curricular and extra-curricular activities was in your best interests. You should not join in with. You are expected to ensure that you avoid overlapping with any MB BS or Physician’s Associate placement teaching and choose times when your Clinical Elective hosting department is likely to have few, if any, students (please contact rebecca.ogden@nnuh.nhs.uk if you need advice on this).

  1. You will need to ask your identified Consultant to provide a confirmatory email with your expected attachment dates to Sophie Cook, Student Coordinator, Norfolk and Norwich Institute for Multi-Professional Education (NANIME) NNUH  sophie.cook@nnuh.nhs.uk  and copy in med.imd@uea.ac.uk.
  2. You will then be contacted by Sophie to request further information, prior to the issue of an NNUH Honorary Contract, including consent to obtain further information from UEA (see point 4)
  3. NANIME will contact the Learning and Teaching Service to request confirmation that you have undergone Occupational Health clearance and an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service Check.
  4. Norwich Medical School will cover the administration fee charged by NNUH to set up this attachment.