Learn the ‘why’ of interventions on this highly practical course
The world is experiencing an unprecedented demographic shift that will impact on the structure of societies. As a consequence of such change, many more psychotherapists are increasingly likely to come into contact with older people seeking help.
This course provides generalist practitioners in clinical psychology with fundamental knowledge needed to gain confidence in applying cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) with older people.
This course provides therapists with a clear rationale for treatment interventions, not just the ‘what to’ and ‘how to do’ but the ‘why’ of interventions, so that anyone with the most basic understanding of CBT will be able to use the information to tailor effective therapy for older people.
Welcome and introduction to the short courses with the course leaders
What will I learn?
By the end of this course you will be:
- Able to describe what demographic change is and explain the implications for therapists working with older people
- Able to describe how working with older people may have unique features and unique challenges
- Able to explain the need for an age-appropriate case conceptualisation of CBT with older people and compare the differences between the standard CBT model and age augmented model
- Able to discuss what information therapists need to gather in order to develop a successful case conceptualisation
- Able to effectively intervene to improve the lives of older people using psychological understanding and techniques based on CBT
Is this course for me?
Suitable for individuals who either have a pre-existing interest in CBT, have a CBT qualification, some clinical experience or are working clinically with older people.
Special Offer for course participants on Cognitive Behaviour Therapy with Older People:
We are delighted that SAGE is offering a 25% discount on this book, exclusively for those taking part in the Cognitive Behaviour Therapy with Older People course.
In order to get your discount, just find the book on SAGE's website and add promotional code UK15SM11 at the checkout.
Remember to press 'update' so that the code is applied.
Available from: dates tbc
Duration: flexible learning, up to a maximum of 6 weeks
Course type: CPD, non-credit bearing
Hours: self-directed learning: minimum of 2 hours per week