Leverhulme Early Career Fellow - University of East Anglia Jan. 2017–present
Research Fellow - University of Leeds July 2014-Dec. 2016
- Research Postgraduate student - Imperial College London Dec. 2010-June 2014
Personal website: annakalogirou.wixsite.com/home
Instability of two-layer film flows due to the interacting effects of surfactants, inertia and gravity,
in Physics of Fluids
article no. 030707Full Text UEA Repository
Modelling of Nonlinear Wave-Buoy Dynamics Using Constrained Variational Methods,
in Proceedings of the ASME 2017 36th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering : Volume 7A: Ocean Engineering.
Variational modelling of extreme waves through oblique interaction of solitary waves: application to Mach reflection,
in Nonlinear Processes in Geophysics
pp. 43-60Full Text UEA Repository
Capturing nonlinear dynamics of two-fluid Couette flows with asymptotic models,
in Journal of Fluid Mechanics
article no. R1Full Text UEA Repository
Variational finite element methods for waves in a Hele-Shaw tank,
in Applied Mathematical Modelling
pp. 7493-7503Full Text UEA Repository
Nonlinear dynamics of surfactant-laden two-fluid Couette flows in the presence of inertia,
in Journal of Fluid Mechanics
pp. 5-36Full Text UEA Repository
Mathematical and Numerical Modelling of Wave Impact on Wave-Energy Buoys,
in Proceedings of the ASME 2016 35th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering : Volume 7: Ocean Engineering.
Variational water wave modelling: from continuum to experiment,
in Lectures on the Theory of Water Waves.
Cambridge University Press
ISBN 9781107565562Full Text UEA Repository
Linearly implicit schemes for multi-dimensional Kuramoto-Sivashinsky type equations arising in falling film flows,
in IMA Journal of Numerical Analysis
pp. 317-336Full Text UEA Repository
An in-depth numerical study of the two-dimensional Kuramoto-Sivashinsky equation,
in Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences
article no. 20140932Full Text UEA Repository
Surfactant destabilization and non-linear phenomena in two-fluid shear flows at small Reynolds numbers,
in IMA Journal of Applied Mathematics
pp. 351-360Full Text UEA Repository
Incompressible Poiseuille flows of Newtonian liquids with a pressure-dependent viscosity,
in Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics
pp. 413-419Full Text UEA Repository
Key Research Interests
My research interests are in fluid dynamics, in particular problems involving moving interfaces or free-surface flows. I am interested in using mathematical modelling, asymptotic analysis and numerical computations to study complex fluid mechanics problems with real-life applications.
- multi-phase flows
- multilayer shear flows
- interfacial instabilities
- thin-film flows
- Marangoni instability
- nonlinear waves
- Hamiltonian mechanics
- fluid-structure interaction
- breaking waves
- finite element methods
- pseudo-spectral methods
Associate Tutor - University of East Anglia, Oct. 2017-present
Tutor in second-year courses "Fluid Dynamics - Theory and Computation" and "Mathematics for Scientsts B". Helper in IT Labs for Matlab, as part of first-year course on "Engineering Studies".
- Teaching Assistant - University of Leeds, Oct. 2015-Dec. 2016
Tutor in first-year course "Calculus and Mathematical Analysis". Provided tutorial support and regular feedback (through marking in-class tests and take-home assessments) to a group of 12 students.
Graduate Teaching Assistant & Assistant Examiner - Imperial College London, Oct. 2011-June 2014
Demonstrator in problem-solving sessions for various undergraduate courses in the Department of Mathematics and ancillary mathematics courses in other engineering departments (including chemical, electrical, civil and aeronautical engineering). Duties included demonstrating in various problem-solving sessions, cooperating with a team of teaching assistants for teaching or marking purposes, meeting regularly with lecturers to discuss students’ progress, marking and invigilating exams.
Special Examination Assistant - Cyprus Pedagogical Institute, June 2009
Responsible for second marking the Cyprus university entry exams and compiling results tables.
Undergraduate Tutor - University of Cyprus, Jan. 2008-Dec. 2008
Private tutorial support to two undergraduate students with special needs.
External Activities and Indicators of Esteem
- Controlling the complex dynamics of multilayer shear flows using surfactants. Leslie Comrie Seminar, University of Greenwich, 27 September 2017.
- The complex dynamics of multilayer shear flows. Inaugural meeting of the SIG in "Mathematical challenges of nonlinear waves and interfacial dynamics", Loughborough University, 25 September 2017.
- Variational finite element modelling of water waves and their impact on moving ships. Fluids, Meteorology, and Symmetry Seminar, University of Surrey, 12 May 2017.
- Nonlinear water waves and their impact on moving ships: variational modelling, simulations and experiments. Applied and Computational Mathematics Seminar, University College Dublin, 8 March 2017.
- Nonlinear dynamics of water waves and their impact on moving ships. Applied and Computational Mathematics Seminar, Cardiff University, 17 January 2017.
- Variational modelling of water waves and their impact on moving ships. Applied Maths Research Seminar, University of East Anglia, 28 November 2016.
- Modelling the maths behind wave motion. STEM pre-sessional programme, University of Leeds, 19 July 2016.
- Rogue-wave impact on amplified wave-energy buoys and moving ships. Fluids and MHD Seminar, University of Leeds, 28 April 2016.
- Variational modelling of nonlinear water waves. International Conference on Scientific Computation and Differential Equations 2015 (SciCADE 2015), University of Potsdam, Germany, 16 September 2015.
- Nonlinear dynamics of surfactant-laden multilayer shear flows and related systems. Fluids and MHD Seminar, University of Leeds, 12 February 2015.
- Nonlinear phenomena in two–fluid shear flows in the presence of surfactants. Applied Mathematics and Mathematical Physics Day, Imperial College, 16 December 2013.
- Effect of surfactants on two–fluid channel flows. MRes Seminar, Imperial College, 20 November 2013.
- Two–fluid shear flows in the presence of surfactants. Junior Fluid Dynamics Seminar, Imperial College, 19 November 2013.
- Two–fluid shear flows in the presence of surfactants. Surfactants Workshop, University of Oxford, 22 July 2013.
- Reviewer experience: Reviewer of the Journals
- EPSRC press release: “Maths could help search and rescue ships sail more safely in heavy seas”.
- Research presentation to STEM international students (19 July 2016) on "Modelling the maths behind wave motion".
- Memberships to professional bodies: