The Technician Commitment is a sector wide, collaborative initiative led by the Science Council and supported by the Gatsby Charitable Foundation’s “Technicians Make It Happen” campaign. The Commitment aims to ensure visibility, recognition, career development and sustainability for technicians working in higher education and research and signatories would pledge action against five key challenges affecting their technical staff:
• Visibility: ensure that all technicians within the organisation are identifiable and that the contribution of technicians is visible within and beyond the institution.
• Recognition: support technicians to gain recognition through professional registration.
• Career Development: enable career progression opportunities for technicians through the provision of clear, documented career pathways.
• Sustainability: ensure the future sustainability of technical skills across the organisation and that technical expertise is fully utilised.
• Evaluating Impact: regularly assess the impact of actions taken in support of the commitment to ensure their effectiveness.
The University is a signatory to the commitment and is in the process of completing a self-assessment and creating an action plan. A Technicians Commitment Board has been established. This is chaired by Ian Callaghan and comprises of senior staff and board members from all faculties and divisions that employ technicians as well as board members from the UEA Technicians Forum.