COMPETITION WINNERS ANNOUNCED BELOW!
We were thrilled by the number and high quality of the entries this year which came from every corner of the UK. As judges, we had a hard time choosing the winners they were all a pleasure to read and there is no doubt that there are some very talented emerging writers. It was lovely to see such great responses to the natural world and for what language can do to illuminate our experience of it.
In the end a few poems and pieces of prose stood out. All the winning poems and pieces of prose shared a powerful feeling for the natural world. Many, too, shared a sense of anxiety about the loss of species and the ordinary heritage of the natural world. One judge was reminded of a phrase by Peter Levi, who said he loved the landscape near his home with 'an insecurity of passion.' Many of them also celebrated the words of ‘The Lost Words’ and in their writing have helped us all remember them.
The judges would also like to thank all those who illustrated their works. We really enjoyed looking at your drawings.
Alexander Gordon Smith,
Overall winner of the FLY Festival Competition, chosen from the winners of both age categories (11-14 and 15-18) is:
WINNER of the 15 - 18 category is:
WINNER of the 11 - 14 category is:
15 - 18 category:
11 - 14 category:
ARE YOU A WINNER?
Competition winners and runners up have been contacted via email, if you have not recieved anything from us, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to claim your prize!
Winners prizes (awarded for each age category (11-14 and 15-18)
- Secret prize awarded to the overall winner - watch this space!
- A Kindle Fire
- A hamper of chocolates from our sponsor Gnaw Chocolate
- An invitation to the award-giving at FLY on Wednesday 11 July
- Signed copies of a selection of books by this year’s FLY authors. And a signed copy of The Lost Words, A Spell Book.
- A chance for your writing to be published on the FLY web pages
- Runners up will also be invited to the award ceremony and will receive signed author books