I have been based in the School of Environmental Sciences at the UEA for more than 40 years, researching and teaching many aspects of environmental chemistry. In particular my research has focused on the biogeochemical interactions between the ocean and the atmosphere, specialising in the processes of air-sea gas exchange, the mechanisms of trace gas formation in the oceans, and their reactivity and role in the atmosphere. My research is an integral part of the School’s Laboratory for Global Marine and Atmospheric Chemistry (LGMAC). I have received the Challenger Society Medal, the Plymouth Marine Sciences Medal, and the John Jeyes Medal of the Royal Society of Chemistry. I served for 5 years on the Natural Environment Research Council, was Chair of the Scientific Committee of the International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme, and Chair of the Scientific Steering Committee for the international SOLAS Project and am currently a member of Defra's Science Advisory Council. I chair MEDIN (Marine Environmental and Data Information Network), the MASTS (Marine Alliance for Science and Technology in Scotland) Advisory Board and the National Oceanography Centre's Association Board and am a member of its Science Advisory Council.
Key Research Interests
Environmental chemistry; biogeochemical interaction between the oceans and atmosphere; global change.
- Martino, M., Lézé, B., Baker, A.R. and Liss, P.S. (2012). Chemical controls on ozone deposition to water.Geophysical Research Letters 39, L05809, doi:10.1029/2011GL050282.
- Beale, R., Liss, P.S. and Nightingale, P.D. (2010). First oceanic measurements of ethanol and propanol.Geophysical Research Letters 37, L24607, doi: 10.1029/2010GL045534.
- Hopkins, F.E., Turner, S.M., Nightingale, P.D., Steinke, M., Bakker, D. and Liss, P.S. (2009). Ocean acidification and marine trace gas emissions. PNAS 107(2), 760-765.
- Duce, R.A., LaRoche, J., Altieri, K., Arrigo, K.R., Baker, A.R., Capone, D.G., Cornell, S., Dentener, F., Galloway, J., Ganeshram, R.S., Geider, R.J., Jickells, T., Kuypers, M.M., Langlois, R., Liss, P.S., Liu, S.M., Middleburg, J.J., Moore, C.M., Nickovic, S., Oschlies, A., Pedersen, T., Prospero, J., Schlitzer, R., Sorensen, L.L., Umatsu, M., Ulloa, O., Voss, M., Ward, B. and Zamora, L. (2008). Impacts of atmospheric anthropogenic nitrogen on the open ocean. Science 320, 893-897.
- Martino, M., Mills, G.P., Woeltjen, J. and Liss, P.S. (2008) A new source of volatile organoiodine compounds in surface seawater. Geophysical Research Letters 36, L01609, doi:10.1029/2008GL036334.
- Johnson, M.T., Liss, P.S., Bell, T.G., Lesworth, T.J., Baker, A.R., Hind, A.J., Jickells, T.D., Biswas, K.F., Woodward, E.M.S. and Gibb, S.W. (2008). Field observations of the ocean-atmosphere exchange of ammonia: fundamental importance of temperature as revealed by a comparison of high and low latitudes.Global Biogeochemical Cycles 22, GB1019, DOI: 10.1029/2007GB003039.
- Liss, P.S. (2007). Trace gas emissions from the marine biosphere. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A 365, 1697-1704.
- Liss, P.S. and Lovelock, J.E. (2007). Climate change: the effect of DMS emissions. Environmental Chemistry 4, 377-378. doi:10.1071/EN07072.
- Chuck, A.L., S.M. Turner, P.S. Liss (2005). Oceanic distributions and air-sea fluxes of biogenic halocarbons in the open ocean. Journal of Geophysical Research, 110(C10), C10022,doi:10.1029/2004JC002741.
- Liss, P.S., A. Chuck, D. Bakker, S. Turner (2005). Ocean fertilization with iron: effects on climate and air quality. Tellus, 57B, 269-271, doi:10.1111/j.1600-0889.2005.00141.x.
- Liss, P.S., A.L. Chuck, S.M. Turner, A.J. Watson (2004). Air-sea gas exchange in Antarctic waters.Antarctic Science, 16, 517-529, doi:10.1017/S0954102004002299.
- Turner, S.M., M.J. Harvey, C.S. Law, P.D. Nightingale, P.S. Liss (2004). Iron-induced changes in oceanic sulfur biogeochemistry. Geophysical Research Letters, 31, L14307, doi:10.1029/2004GL020296.
- Chuck, A.L., S.M. Turner, P.S. Liss (2002) Direct evidence for a marine source of C1 and C2 alkyl nitrates. Science, 297, 1151-1154, doi:10.1126/science.1073896.
- Amouroux, D., P.S. Liss, E. Tessier, M. Hamren-Larsson, O.F.X. Donard (2001) Role of oceans as biogenic sources of selenium. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 189, 277-283, doi:10.1016/S0012-821X(01)00370-3.
Publications: EPrints Digital Repository