Credits from this module can be put towards a Postgraduate Certificate, a Postgraduate Diploma the MA in Advanced Social Work or MA Mental Health. Applications are open to social workers with at least one year’s post-qualifying experience. This module is best suited for Child and Family Social Workers who regularly undertake assessment visits in the course of their work.
Home visiting is integral to social work practice with children and families. This module aims to increase the knowledge, resilience and skills of social workers in assessing, engaging and supporting families in the context of the home visit.
This innovative module draws on the latest research into the cognitive, emotional and behavioural aspects of social work decision-making and practice. The module is intended for child and family social workers who undertake assessment work involving home visits.
The module will cover:
• The assessment of risk, need and family dynamics during the social work home visit
• Relevant theory and research about professional judgement in social work, including sources of cognitive bias and error
• The concept of professional resilience and strategies for managing the emotional demands of work with children and families
• Skills for managing the home visit, effective communication with children and families and working with resistance
• Use of self during the home visit, including use of role, appropriate authority and relationship-based engagement with children and their families
• Enhanced professional judgement, including a recognition of the mechanics of decision-making, awareness of bias and ability to generate and test multiple hypotheses
• Increased professional resilience, including an awareness of how emotional responses can affect decision-making
• Increased confidence and skills in carrying out home visits, including the management of challenging encounters with children and families
The module addresses the following domains within the current Knowledge and Skills Statement for approved Child and Family Practitioners (KSS):
• Relationships and effective direct work (KSS1)
• Communication (KSS2)
• Child and family assessment (KSS6)
• Analysis, decision-making, planning and review (KSS7)