This module can be taken as a stand lone module or the credits can be put towards the MA in Advanced Social Work. It is possible to exit from the MA in Advance Social Work with a Post Graduate Certificate (60 credits) or Post Graduate Diploma (120 credits).
This module is aimed at existing managers and those practitioners who are moving into supervisory or management roles within their organisation. Practitioners will be working at the Experienced Social Worker, Advanced and Strategic levels of the Professional Capabilities Framework and the module will support participants to evidence the Post Qualifying Standards for Practice Leaders and Practice Supervisors.
The module examines theories of supervision and leadership to explore the policy and current practice in day to day operational management, quality assurance, appraisal and supervision.
Participants will develop:
• An understanding of the influence of personal histories and individual differences of supervisors and the people they supervise
• A critical understanding of the models of supervision and leadership and role of performance management in modern social work environments
• A critical awareness of key factors in the interface between social work values, policy, resource management and practice priorities.
• The ability to engage in health and social care management in a manner consistent with the aims, values and ethics of social work, health and social care.
• An understanding of their personal leadership style, informed by clarity about the impact on colleagues and its appropriateness for the context.
• The ability to support, mentor, supervise and manage others with a view to promoting competent and confident workers, and optimising outcomes for service users