This module can be taken as a stand lone module or the credits can be put towards the MA in Advanced Social Work. It is possible to exit from the MA in Advance Social Work with a Post Graduate Certificate (60 credits) or Post Graduate Diploma (120 credits). Applications are open to social workers with at least one year’s post-qualified experience.
This 20-credit distance learning module is intended for professionals from child/family and adult care services. It provides an introduction to key concepts in management and leadership and considers their application in social care settings. It aims to promote candidates' reflection on their own leadership and management style and increase their knowledge and skills.
The module is aimed at managers and practitioners at the Experienced Social Worker level and above, who are moving into supervisory and/or managerial roles within their organisation; or who are already operating at this level.
This particular model is mostly undertaken as a distance learning module, with 2 x half day face to face tutorials.
• Understanding of the links between concepts of leadership and management
• Critical appraisal of current theories of leadership and management and their applicability in a social work and social care context
• Understanding effective and responsible exercise of different sources of power, including one’s own.
• The ability to provide leadership within practice settings in order to facilitate development and contribute to high quality services
• Conscious exercise and control of own influence and power.
• The ability to make informed and balanced judgements
Professional Capabilities Framework/Knowledge and Skills Statements
In view of the focus on leadership and management, the module links into the Social Work Manager pathway in the PCF. The learning in the module is able to be applied at the Experienced, Advanced and Strategic levels, depending on the experience and role of the candidate. The content of the module is relevant to the Knowledge and Skills Statements for Practice Leaders and Supervisors, specifically elements of:
• Effective use of power and authority
• Confident analysis and decision making
• Purposeful and effective social work