About the Course
Consultations involving medicines form part of medicines optimisation. Medicines optimisation focuses on actions taken by all health and social care practitioners, and requires greater patient engagement and professional collaboration across health and social care settings. A large part of it involves communication between healthcare professionals and patients.
The UEA Patient Consultation Skills Programme aims to equip pharmacy technicians with the skills and knowledge they require to conduct safe and effective consultations in their extended, patient-facing roles.
The course is delivered using a blended learning delivery method, consisting of e-learning, face-to-face teaching and the collection of workplace evidence.
To complete the course, candidates are required to:
- Complete e-learning packages
- Attend two regional study days
- Build a portfolio of evidence, including reflective diary logs of holistically observed patient consultations
- Write a 1000 word reflective essay
- Present a short, reflective case presentation on a ‘significant incident’
- Complete an external review