- To undertake research on a wide range of child and family issues across regional, national and international contexts.
- To use research to advance our understanding of the development of children and the diverse nature and meanings of family life across the life course in a changing and multi-cultural society.
- To advance our knowledge of the effectiveness and efficiency of services across the statutory, voluntary and private sectors.
- To work in collaboration with, or on behalf of, child and family agencies in the statutory, voluntary and private sectors.
- To develop and disseminate research knowledge which will inform and have an impact on policy and practice, enhancing the well-being of children and families.