For unpaid internships in China we recommend that students select the option entitled 'non-business visit' together with supporting documentation from the host organisation, on your visa application. Apply through the Chinese Visa Application Service Centre in Manchester. Please note if you are given a subsidy for your flights, accommodation or other living expenses, this counts as an unpaid internship, as you will not be earning a salary.
It is advisable that you apply for a visa one month before your intended date of entry into China and not earlier than three months.
Your employer in China should provide:
- Invitation letter for your visa application
- A form to give to your GP for your health check
- Address of accommodation (if this is provided for you).
You will need to:
- Apply for a visa one month before departure - complete the application form and include one recent passport-sized colour photo.
- Schedule and complete a health check with your GP (if required).
- Contact your local police station 1-2 months before departure, for a criminal record check (if required by employer).
Find out more about the costs of getting your visa.
Upon arrival: Every foreigner living in China has to register with the Public Security Bureau (PSB) via your local police station within 24 hours after arrival. If you are staying in a hotel you will be registered when you check in. Please speak to your employer about this and organise where you should register. For more information check out this China as-is guide.