The Community Liaison Team are part of the wider Student Services department in UEA.

The role of the team is to provide a link between the University, UEA students and the wider Norwich community.

The Community Liaison Team can investigate disturbances in privately rented residences and the Norwich community that may have been caused by UEA students. This investigation process will identify whether the UEA General Regulations for Students have been breached and may result in a referral to the University Disciplinary Process.

The Community Liaison Team will seek to make a fair and impartial assessment on whether complaints made are reasonable. We request an appropriate level of tolerance, in line with Norwich City Council’s guidelines for disturbance that does not constitute anti-social behaviour.

Making a complaint

If you wish to make a complaint about residents that you think are UEA students, you can do this by emailing and providing the following information:

  • Your name, address, phone number and email address
  • The address of the residence in question
  • The date and time of the most recent disturbance, and if this is a recurrent issue
  • The nature of the disturbance
  • Any other organisations you have contacted about this disturbance (Norwich City Council / Norfolk Constabulary)
  • Supporting evidence – this could include photographs, videos or a police crime reference number.

Please be aware that we may be unable to proceed with an investigation into your complaint without this information and supporting evidence.

We will be in contact with you to arrange a meeting to discuss this matter further. Please indicate any days/times which would be most convenient for you.


You may also wish to consider addressing your concerns to:

Norwich City Council can investigate incidents actions that are not considered to be normal everyday activities or household noise. The Noise App can be used to record and report persistent noise nuisances to Norwich City Council.

Norfolk Constabulary can investigate anti-social behaviour and seek ways to prevent it happening again. Their Reporting Form can be used to make a report to the Police in non-emergency situations.

If the nuisance you are experiencing is a direct result of government guidelines being ignored, please report the details to the Police on 101. Police have powers to take action in these cases.