Choose to study at the Centre for Japanese Studies at UEA and you'll develop a deeper understanding of Japan and its place in the world yesterday, today and tomorrow.
We offer two interdisciplinary summer programmes focused around Japanese arts, language and culture. You'll be taught by leading UEA academics, benefit from insights from inspiring guest lecturers, and gain hands-on experiences through academic field trips.
Applicants may apply for full bursaries for each programme which include:
- Full programme tuition
- Return airport transfers
- Off campus study trips
- Social programme
- Some catering
- Contribution towards travel costs
- All applicants should be aged 18 or over
- All applicants are expected to have attained a 3.0 US GPA or equivalent
- All applicants should either be currently studying at University, or a recent graduate
- Non-native English speakers need an IELTS score of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each component, or an equivalent score on an approved English test
- Submission of Summer Study at UEA application form, and a supporting statement (a link will be sent to submit this seperately after submission of your application form)
- Applicants do not need to submit a reference
Assessment and teaching
- Both programmes will be taught in English
- UEA credit will not be awarded for these programmes
- Teaching will be carried out in locations on and off UEA campus
- Learning will be assessed in a variety of ways including class presentations, assignments or discussions.
“Apply for this programme because it is a valuable experience and it is not often that these occur. You will not only discover an interesting module to study, but you will also find yourself in a beautiful city with friendly people.” Lisa from Romania, Japan Orientation 2018