This annual Bursary is available for students wishing to study for the MA Creative Writing: Prose degree course and is worth £5,000.
- There shall be an annual Bursary to be known as The Corsair Bursary. The purpose of the Bursary is to enable a student to study the MA Creative Writing: Prose postgraduate degree course offered by the School of Literature, Drama and Creative Writing.
- The Bursary is open to students undertaking this degree course who will be aged 25 or younger at the start of the academic year in which they begin their MA Creative Writing: Prose degree at UEA.
- The Bursary shall be worth £5,000 for a 12 month period.
- The first Bursary will be awarded in September 2012. One new Bursary will be available each year until 2014/15. The Bursary will become payable on completion of registration of the successful student.
- The Corsair Bursary will be assessed on the material submitted by students for admission to the course using the selection criteria below. All students who have accepted an offer of a place on the course and who will be aged 25 or younger at the start of the academic year in which they begin this course will be eligible for consideration.
- The Bursary will be awarded by the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Academic) on the recommendation of a Selection Committee comprising the Associate Dean for Learning, Teaching and Quality in the Faculty of Arts and Humanities, the Director of the MA Creative Writing: Prose course and James Gurbutt, Publisher for Corsair.
- In the event that there are two or more candidates who are deemed to be of equal merit, the Bursary shall not be divided and the Selection Committee will decide upon the winner based upon interviews with each candidate.
- If in any year, no candidate is judged to be of sufficient merit, the Bursary shall not be awarded. No person will be awarded a Bursary more than once.
SELECTION CRITERIA (see rule 5 above):
- Exceptional prose writing potential.
- Evidence of commitment to development as a prose writer.
- Evidence of active engagement with the world of prose writing.
- Evidence that the student is at the right stage in their writing development to receive optimum benefit from their MA studies.
- Evidence of self-motivation, determination and an active approach to establishing and developing a life as a prose writer.
- Sara Taylor