The Accounting Group is currently led by Peter Russell (in teaching) and Ana Marques (in research) and includes 19 full time and part time Faculty members, 10 of whom hold a professional accountancy qualification. We have strong links with Professional accountancy bodies, such as the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) and Chartered Institute of Taxation (CIOT).
NBS is one of the top 10 Business Schools in the UK
(Research output quality, REF 2014)
The Accounting group’s faculty works in the area of corporate disclosure, which is instrumental in providing stakeholders with adequate information on the companies they are interested in.
The group’s research covers several fields: Accounting Regulation, Alternative Performance Measures, Auditing and Assurance, Corporate Governance, Corporate Social Responsibility, Financial Accounting, Management Accounting, and Performance Management.
Group members have published their research in leading journals (classified as 4 or 3 by the ABS) such as: Review of Accounting Studies; Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal; Accounting and Business Research, Accounting Forum; Accounting Horizxons;Corporate Governance: An International Review; Critical Perspectives on Accounting; European Accounting Review; Financial Accountability and Management; International Journal of Acconting; Journal of Accounting,Auditing and Finance; Journal of Business Ethics; Journal of Business Finance and Accounting; Management Accounting Research; Production Planning and Control; Small Business Eonomics; and Supply Chain Management: An International Journal.
Members of the Accounting Group have collaborations with researchers of other national schools (such as University of Kent, and LSE), as well with researchers working in Brazil (University of Sao Paulo), Denmark (University of Aarhus), india (Indian Institute of Managment Bangalore), New Zealand (University of Auckland), Portugal (ISCTE – IUL, and ISEG – University of Lisbon), Spain (ESADE Business School, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, and Universidad Carlos III de Madrid), and Turkey (University of Ankara).
We also welcome applications for short academic visits from junior and senior researchers. Unfortunately, we cannot cover any expenses at this point. if you are intereste in visiting us, please contact the group member that you would like to work with direct.
Group Members and Interests
- Mr James Armes, CMA, Lecturer in Accounting: management accounting and internal auditing
- Mrs Loretta Bond, CTA, Lecturer in Taxation and Accounting
- Prof Ian Dewing, FCA Professor of Accounting: auditing, corporate governance and financial regulation.
- Mr Peter Ellington, FAIA, FRSA, Lecturer in Accounting: accounting education, management accounting, and accounting for IT systems
- Mrs Andrea Finegan, Lecturer in Finance: investment banking and investment management
- Dr Pinar Given-Uslu, Associate Professor of Accounting: benchmarking, accounting information for performance management and strategic decision making
- Dr Octavian Ionescu, Lecturer in Accounting: professional judgement in the accounting profession
- Dr Robert Jenkins, Lecturer in Business Statistics, University Teaching Fellow: mathematics and quantitative methods
- Mrs Jessica Kirkham, Lecturer in Accounting: financial accounting, taxation, international financial reporting
- Dr Alasdair Macnab, FCMA GGMA, Lecturer in Management Accounting
- Dr Ricardo Malagueno Santana, Associate Professor of Accounting: management accounting and control systems, performance management, and business ethics
- Prof Ana Marques, Professor of Accounting: alternative performance measures (non-GAAP earnings) corporate governance, corporate social responsibility disclosures
- Mrs Sally Piff, ACA, Lecturer in Business Statistics: mathematics and quantitative methods
- Mr Peter Russell, FCA, Associate Professor of Accounting: audit, corporate governance, and financial regulation
- Mr Anthony Springall, CMA, Tutor in Business: financial accounting
- Mrs Amanda Williams, ACA, CTA, Lecturer in Accounting: accounting education and taxation
- Ms Susan Wheeler, FCCA, Lecturer in Accounting: management and cost accounting
- Mr Michael Woodhouse, CMA, Tutor in Business: management and cost accounting
We currently offer the following accounting-related programmes:
- BSc Accounting and Finance
- BSc Accounting and Management
- MSc International Accounting and Financial Management
- MSc Accounting and Finance
The following members of the group are available for PhD supervision.