The award-winning Music Centre, designed by Arup Associates and built with the help of a grant from the Nuffield Foundation, opened in 1973. It is near the centre of the University, the main library, lecture theatres, drama studio and catering facilities. A small open-air amphitheatre outside the main entrance can be used for music and theatre events.
Our keyboard collection includes four Steinway grands, a fine double-manual harpsichord after Pierre Taskin , a single-manual Italian harpsichord, a double-manual tracker-action organ by Peter Collins and a Clementi square piano made around 1825. Early instruments include a chest of viols (2 treble, 2 tenor, 2 bass), renaissance recorders, rebecs, a seven-course lute by David van Edwards, crumhorns and a kortholt. Baroque and classical instruments include a natural horn, one-keyed flute after Kirst and two-keyed oboe after Denner, and baroque violin and viola bows. There is also a range of modern instruments, especially percussion.
Recordings and Scores
The School of Music houses a teaching collection of over 3500 records and CDs for use within the building. An even larger collection in the main Library mirrors the School's collection and makes thousands more CDs available for study-listening and borrowing. The Centre's music library comprises many sets of orchestral parts, vocal scores, opera scores, miniature scores and early consort music in parts. Videos and DVDs used for teaching certain modules are found both in the School and in the Library. The Library holds all the principal collected editions of music, all the main music periodicals from a variety of countries, and of course thousands of books and scores.
Library Catalogue: http://www.lib.mus.uea.ac.uk/