Dr. Yoon K Loke is Senior Lecturer in Clinical Pharmacology at the University of East Anglia, and Co-Convenor of the Cochrane Adverse Effects Methods Group. He has extensive experience in conducting systematic reviews of adverse effects, and is the lead author of Chapter 14 in the Cochrane Handbook of Systematic Reviews. His main interests are in assessing harmful effects from drugs such as the proton pump inhibitors, thiazolidinediones, and inhalers for airway disease. He also serves as Chair of the NIHR HTA Elective and Emergency Specialist Care Panel, and European Editor for the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology.
Dr. Loke’s main interest is on how systematic review methodology can be used to answer clinically relevant questions on the adverse effects of medication.
Clinical Lecturer in Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics, University of Oxford 1997-2003
- Systematic reviews and meta-analysis
- Adverse effects
- Indirect comparisons
I am a co-convenor of the Cochrane Adverse Effects Methods Group, and my special interest is in developing methods for evaluating data on adverse effects.
- Singh S, Loke YK, Enright PL, Furberg CD. Mortality associated with tiotropium mist inhaler in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. BMJ. 2011 Jun 14;342:d3215. doi: 10.1136/bmj.d3215.
- Golder S, Loke YK, Bland M. Meta-analyses of adverse effects data derived from randomised controlled trials as compared to observational studies: methodological overview. PLoS Med. 2011;8(5)
- Loke YK, Kwok CS, Singh S. Comparative cardiovascular effects of thiazolidinediones: systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. BMJ. 2011;342:d1309
- Loke YK, Singh S, Furberg CD. Long-term use of thiazolidinediones and fractures in type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysis. CMAJ. 2009;180(1):32-9.
- Song F, Loke YK, Walsh T, Glenny AM, Eastwood AJ, Altman DG. Methodological problems in the use of indirect comparisons for evaluating healthcare interventions: survey of published systematic reviews. BMJ. 2009;338:b1147. doi:10.1136/bmj.b114
- Singh S, Amin AV, Loke YK. Long-term Use of Inhaled Corticosteroids and the Risk of Pneumonia in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease - A Meta-analysis. Arch Intern Med 2009:169: 219-229.
- Singh S, Loke YK, Furberg CD. Inhaled anticholinergics and risk of major adverse cardiovascular events in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA. 2008;300(12):1439-50.
- Singh S, Loke YK, Furberg CD. Long-term Risk of Cardiovascular Events with Rosiglitazone - A Systematic review and Meta-analysis JAMA 2007;298: 1189-95
- Loke YK, Price D, Derry S, Aronson JK. Case reports of suspected adverse drug reactions--systematic literature survey of follow-up. BMJ 2006;332:335-9.
- Derry S, Loke YK. Risk of gastrointestinal haemorrhage with long term use of aspirin: meta-analysis. BMJ 2000;321:1183-7
- MBBS (London) 1990
- MRCP (UK) 1993
- Certificate of Completion of Specialist Training (Clinical Pharmacology and General Internal Medicine), 2001
- MD (London) 2003
<- Page 1 of 5 ->
Single dose piroxicam in acute postoperative pain: a quantitative systematic review (Cochrane Review)
In: The Cochrame Library, Issue 4.
Oxford: Update SoftwareUEA Repository
Prednisolone combined with adjunctive immunosuppression is not superior to prednisolone alone in terms of efficacy and safety in giant cell arteritis : meta-analysis
in Clinical rheumatology
pp. 227-236Full Text UEA Repository
Publication bias: what is it? How do we measure it? How do we avoid it?
in Open Access Journal of Clinical Trials
pp. 71-81Full Text UEA Repository
Mediational effects of self-efficiacy dimensions in the relationship between knowledge of dengue and dengue preventative behaviour with respect to control of dengue outbreaks: A structural quation model of a cross-sectional survey
in PLoS Neglected Tropical DiseasesUEA Repository
Reduced esophageal cancer incidence in statin users, particularly with cyclo-oxygenase inhibition
in World journal of gastrointestinal pharmacology and therapeutics
pp. 69-79Full Text UEA Repository
Overall similarity and consistency assessment scores are not sufficiently accurate for predicting discrepancy between direct and indirect comparison estimates
in Journal of Clinical Epidemiology
pp. 184-91Full Text UEA Repository
Evaluating predictive pharmacogenetic signatures of adverse events in colorectal cancer patients treated with fluoropyrimidines
in PLoS ONE
pp. e78053Full Text UEA Repository
Changes in antiplatelet use prior to incident ischaemic stroke over 7 years in a UK centre and the association with stroke subtype
in Age and Ageing
pp. 594-8Full Text UEA Repository
No consistent evidence of differential cardiovascular risk amongst proton-pump inhibitors when used with clopidogrel : meta-analysis
in International journal of cardiology
pp. 965-74Full Text UEA Repository
Use of indirect comparison methods in systematic reviews: a survey of Cochrane review authors
in Research Synthesis MethodsFull Text UEA Repository
Impact of health literacy in patients with chronic musculoskeletal disease--systematic review
in PLoS ONE
pp. e40210Full Text UEA Repository
Systematic review of consistency between adherence to cardiovascular or diabetes medication and health literacy in older adults
in The Annals of Pharmacotherapy
pp. 863-872Full Text UEA Repository
The International Community-Acquired Pneumonia (CAP) Collaboration Cohort (ICCC) study : rationale, design and description of study cohorts and patients
in BMJ Open
2.Full Text UEA Repository
Association of obstructive sleep apnea with risk of serious cardiovascular events : a systematic review and meta-analysis
in Circulation. Cardiovascular quality and outcomes
pp. 720-8Full Text UEA Repository
Risk of Clostridium difficile infection with acid suppressing drugs and antibiotics : meta-analysis
in The American Journal of Gastroenterology
pp. 1011-9Full Text UEA Repository
Functional polymorphisms of folate metabolism and response to chemotherapy for colorectal cancer, a systematic review and meta-analysis
in Pharmacogenetics and genomics
pp. 290-304Full Text UEA Repository
Adverse drug reactions
in British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
pp. 908-11Full Text UEA Repository
Inconsistencies surrounding the risk of adverse outcomes with concomitant use of clopidogrel and proton pump inhibitors
in Expert opinion on drug safety
pp. 275-84Full Text UEA Repository
Effects of proton pump inhibitors on platelet function in patients receiving clopidogrel : a systematic review
in Drug safety : an international journal of medical toxicology and drug experience
pp. 127-39Full Text UEA Repository
Statins and associated risk of pneumonia : a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies
in European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
pp. 747-55Full Text UEA Repository
<- Page 1 of 5 ->
My current teaching activity is aimed at the improving the prescribing skills of medical students. I was awarded a UEA Teaching Fellowship 2004 for work on reducing prescribing errors.
I am a member of the British Pharmacological Society, and have worked on the society funded project that resulted in a publication of a systematic review on educational interventions for teaching prescribing in medical students.
External Activities and Indicators of Esteem
- European Editor, British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology (2008 - ongoing)
- Co-convenor Cochrane Adverse Effects Methods Group (2007 - ongoing)
- Bruce Squires Award from the CMAJ for the Best Research Paper of the Year; Singh S, Loke YK, Spangler JG, Furberg CD. Risk of serious adverse cardiovascular events with Varenicline- A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. CMAJ 2011; 1831359-66. (2013)
- Chair of the NIHR HTA Elective and Emergency Specialist Care Panel (2013 - ongoing)
- Module 13 (Emergency Care) Lead for Year 5 Medical Students.
- Theme Lead for Clinical Pharmacology