Foundations in Clinical Research (Level 7)
Nursing, Medicine, Midwifery, Allied Health Professionals, Ambulance Service, Operating Department, Psychology, Health and Social Care
January 2019 TBC
Research & Evidence-based Practice
You will have the opportunity to study aspects of clinical research in depth and to undertake an assignment. The assignment will provide you with the ability to critically and comprehensively evaluate the ethics and governance arrangements that need to be considered when submitting a protocol, when making amendments and when handling safety reporting and end of study reporting. Successful completion of this module attracts 20 credits at level 7. This module has been developed in response to current imperatives to double the number of patients taking part in clinical trials and other well designed research studies over the next five years. Consequently, there is a need to offer opportunities for training for practitioners working within clinical research through the provision of programmes that combine academic achievement and the further development of clinical skills. The aim is to contribute to your career development by offering a flexible module that provides you with the necessary research skills to plan, implement and conduct clinical research within current UK governance and legislative research structures.
What will I learn?
- Understand the relevance of clinical trials to the drug development process
- Understand the relevance of clinical trials to the development of evidence-based practice/ medicine
- Demonstrate an understanding of the different types of clinical research
- Be aware of the importance of RCTs and the concept of blinding
- Demonstrate an understanding of the legal frameworks governing clinical research
- Discuss the importance of informed consent
- Demonstrate an understanding of the development and application of the research protocol
- Demonstrate a critical appreciation of the practicalities of the conduct of clinical research
- Describe the difference between monitoring, audit and inspection
- Demonstrate an understanding of the communication strategy within a study team, between a study team and the wider team and participants
- Understand the importance and methods of research dissemination
How will I learn?
Face to face learning
To be confirmed
* Please be advised that course dates and timings may change
Jenny Moore J.F.Moore@uea.ac.uk