Foundations in Clinical Research Level 6 Module
Friday 4 January 2019 - Friday 22 February 2019
Nursing, Medicine, Midwifery, Allied Health Professionals, Ambulance Service, Operating Department, Psychology, Health and Social Care
4th January 2019
Research & Evidence-based Practice
On this module you will study aspects of clinical research in depth and undertake an assignment that will develop your ability to critically and comprehensively evaluate the ethics and governance arrangements that need to be considered when: submitting a protocol; making amendments; handling safety reporting and end of study reporting. Current imperatives to double the number of patients taking part in clinical trials and other well-designed research studies over the next five years mean that there is a need to offer training opportunities to practitioners working in clinical research via programmes that combine academic achievement and the further development of clinical skills. This flexible module will contribute to your career development by providing you with the research skills to plan, implement and conduct clinical research within current UK governance and legislative research structures.
What will I learn?
- Understand the relevance of clinical trials to the drug development process. Understand the relevance of clinical trials to the development of evidence-based practice/ medicine
- Demonstrate an understanding of the different types of clinical research
- Be aware of the importance of RCTs and the concept of blinding
- Demonstrate an understanding of the legal frameworks governing clinical research
- Discuss the importance of informed consent
- Demonstrate an understanding of the development and application of the research protocol
- Demonstrate a critical appreciation of the practicalities of the conduct of clinical research
- Describe the difference between monitoring, audit and inspection
- Demonstrate an understanding of the communication strategy within a study team, between a study team and the wider team and participants
- Understand the importance and methods of research dissemination
How will I learn?
Face to face learning
4, 18, 25 January 2019
1, 8, 15, 22 February 2019
* Please be advised that course dates and timings may change
Jenny Moore J.F.Moore@uea.ac.uk