Advancing Practice in Dementia Care (Level 6)
Tuesday 23 January 2018 - Tuesday 10 April 2018
Complexity in later life
This module is about developing the skills and knowledge of health and social care practitioners working with people living with dementia across a wide range of community and inpatient settings. The focus of the module is on improving knowledge about and advancing practice in dementia, person-centred care and care interactions.
Is this course for me?
These modules are aimed at health and social care practitioners working in any setting who want to advance their knowledge and skills in the area of dementia care in order to improve practice and maximise wellbeing of people living with dementia. The modules are suitable for any qualified health or social care practitioner or people with a moderate level of experience of working with people living with dementia.
What will I learn?
The learning objectives of this module are to:
Study and understand contemporary perspectives on dementia care
Increase knowledge and understanding of risk, safeguarding, accountability, duty of care and own role in promoting patient safety
- Enable enhanced evaluation of the factors which can affect interactions and communication with individuals living with dementia
- Develop expertise in accurately responding to individuals with dementia who communicate in different ways, recognising how behaviour reflects emotions and unmet needs
- Work effectively and ethically with people living with dementia and their families and carers
Promote the development of skilful adaptation to individual needs taking account of cultural background, family dynamics and diversity
Increase expertise in gaining and using information about the individual’s personal history; personal, religious, and spiritual preferences; and cultural and ethnic background to provide a comprehensive assessment and person-centred package of care.
- Develop awareness and expertise in working effectively with people living with dementia at all stages of their illness, including the provision of post-diagnostic support and care at the end of life.
How will I learn?
Teaching will be delivered through a combination of on-line learning materials, half day seminars and full-day sessions.
23 January 2018
6 & 20 February
6 & 20 March
* Be advised that course dates and timings may change
Sarah Housden S.Housden@uea.ac.uk