Professional Qualifications and professional memberships
- 1977 Diploma in Occupational Therapy. Derby School of Occupational Therapy.
- 1996 MSc in Research Methods, with distinction. University of Derby.
- 2006 PhD, Sheffield University
- Member of the British Association of Occupational Therapists
- Member of the British Association of Hand Therapists
After some early, general experience, the majority of the clinical career was devoted to hand therapy services. A career in education in commenced in 2005.
Key outcomes for shoulder problems: An ICF-based study to determine how well patient reported measures capture patients' perspectives,
in Manual Therapy
pp. e52-e53Full Text
Learning about Professionalism within Practice-based Education: what are we looking for?,
in International Journal of Practice-Based Learning in Health and Social Care
Theory into practice: a model to facilitate the integration of CPD,
in Tools for Continuing Professional Development.
pp. 171-181UEA Repository
Key outcomes for shoulder pain: the final countdown,UEA Repository
Key outcomes for shoulder pain: an ICF based comparison of the outcomes which patients consider important and the content of patient-reported measures,UEA Repository
A Qualitative Study of the Experiences and Expectations of Surgery in Patients with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome,
in Journal of Hand Therapy
pp. 54-62Full Text UEA Repository
Functional benefit of Dupuytren's surgery,
in Journal of Hand Surgery-British
pp. 378-381UEA Repository
Key Research Interests
PhD work analysed the professional identity of occupational therapists. This was a qualitative study using a symbolic interactionist framework. Other projects have examined CPD provision and the evaluation of a Healthy Living Centre. Also, an investigation was undertaken to explore the experiences of patients undergoing treatment for carpal tunnel syndrome using a mixed methods study. Work is underway to evaluate the implementation of a Professionalism Charter.
Professionalism, professional identity and socialisation
Teaching activity is focussed on the BSc, MSc pre-registration programmes and post graduate Masters Programmes.
- Human Sciences
- Qualitative research
- Professional development
- Occupational therapy theory and practice
External Activities and Indicators of Esteem
- Reviewer for the British Journal of Occupational therapy - 2008 to present
- Reviewer for the Journal of the British Association of Hand Therapists
- External examiner Brunel University - 2013 to present
Enterprise and Engagement activities
- Creation of Professionalism Charter for health students for HEoE - 2013
- Creation of Professionalism Charter for qualified staff - 2013
- Creation of care and respect package for support workers - 2013
Academic Lead for Values Charter project
- Module Organiser HSC-6021Y
- Professionalism Lead