|Senior Research Associate (Trial Co-ord)||
V dot Maskrey at uea dot ac dot uk
Tel: +44 (0)1603 59 3966
|Medical School 2.06A|
Interests include study of problem drug use, alcohol dependency and smoking, using both quantitative and qualitative methodologies.
• Currently co-ordinator of SHARPISH trial- A randomised controlled trial of self-help materials for the prevention of smoking relapse http://www.hta.ac.uk/project/2389.asp
• Currently co-ordinating an evaluation of the Southern Region Innovation Fund project – An Alcohol Care Team at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.
• Previously co-ordinator of Super C trial - A randomised controlled trial, economic evaluation and qualitative study of supervised consumption in patients managed with opiate maintenance treatment (RfPB) and the SUMMIT Trial – Non-interventional trial of Subutex versus Methadone Maintenance Treatment in the management of opiate dependant patients
• Interest in the epidemiology of problem drug use and the health needs of problem drug users. Work has focused particularly on the health and treatment needs of crack cocaine and opiate users, drug users outside structured treatment, and prisoners with drug or alcohol dependence. Reports have been produced for specific local Drug and Alcohol Action Group districts (DAAGs) in Norfolk.
• Involvement in qualitative studies exploring needs and experiences of patients who are in receipt of long term opiate maintenance treatment, of drug using couples outside treatment and patients preparing for alcohol detox in CBT based groups.
• Currently co-ordinating the Norfolk sites in a collaborative study with the University of Aberdeen’s Centre of Academic Primary Care PPRT funded MINA Study - Community Pharmacy Management Of Minor Illness
Medicines and the Elderly
• Clinical pharmacology – the influence of age on drug handling. Management of a research unit dedicated to research in the elderly. Organisation and running of drug trials to GCP standards. Recruitment and maintenance of a large panel of elderly volunteers (including healthy volunteers and those with particular conditions) willing to participate in clinical research.
• Investigations of interventions with older people to improve medicines adherence and the quality of prescribing. This has included work on the national sentinel clinical audit of evidence-based prescribing for older people, the HOMER trial and the Heartmed trial.
My clinical background is in general and psychiatric nursing with experience gained in an accident and emergency department, a psychiatric emergency clinic, outpatient drug treatment services and ward based acute psychiatric services.
Notley, C, Maskrey, VL and Holland, RC (2012) The needs of problematic drug misusers not in structured treatment - a qualitative study of perceived treatment barriers and recommendations for services. Drugs: Education, Prevention & Policy, 19 (1). pp. 40-48.
Song, F, Holland, R, Barton, G, Bachmann, M, Blyth, A, Maskrey, V, Aveyard, P and et al, (2012) Self-help materials for the prevention of smoking relapse: study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Trials, 13 (1). p. 69.
Uddin, M, Maskrey, VL and Holland, RC (2011) A Study to Validate a Self-Reported Version of the ONS Drug Dependence Questionnaire. Journal of Substance Use, 16 (4). pp. 273-281.
Notley, C, Maskrey, VL, Blyth, A, Holland, RC and Pinto, H (2011) The experience of long term maintenance and barriers to recovery systematic review. PROSPERO 2011.
Pinto, H, Maskrey, V, Swift, L, Rumball, D, Wagle, A and Holland, R (2010) The SUMMIT trial: a field comparison of buprenorphine versus methadone maintenance treatment. Journal of substance abuse treatment, 39 (4). pp. 340-352. ISSN 1873-6483
Holland, R, Broadbent, J and Maskrey, V (2008) How do drug misusers outside drug treatment differ from those receiving treatment? An epidemiological needs assessment. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 62 (Suppl 1 Meeting Abstract). A10. ISSN 0143-005X
Pinto, H, Rumball, D, Maskrey, VL and Holland, RC (2008) A pilot study for a randomized controlled and patient preference trial of buprenorphine versus methadone maintenance treatment in the management of opiate dependent patients. Journal of Substance Use, 13 (2). pp. 73-82.
Pinto, H, Rumball, Daphne, Maskrey, Vivienne and Holland, RC (2008) A pilot study for a RCT and patient preference trial of buprenorphine versus methadone maintenance treatment in the managemkent of opiate dependent patients. Journal of Substance Use, 13 (2). pp. 73-82.
Holland, RC, Vivancos, R, Maskrey, VL, Sadler, J, Rumball, D, Harvey, IM and Swift, L (2006) The prevalence of problem drug misuse in a rural county of England. Public Health, 28 (2). pp. 88-95.
Vivancos, R, Maskrey, VL, Rumball, D, Harvey, IM and Holland, RC (2006) Crack cocaine use in a rural county of England. Journal of Public Health, 28 (2). pp. 96-103.
Holland, R, Maskrey, V, Rechel, B, Clipsham, K and Omara, N (2007) Incidence and Prevalence of Dual Diagnosis among clients of Community Mental Health Teams and Drug & Alcohol Services in Norfolk. Research Report. Report to NHS Norfolk, University of East Anglia.
Holland, RC, Maskrey, VL, Sadler, J, Vivancos, R and Harvey, IM (2004) A crack cocaine users needs assessment for Norfolk. In: Society for Social Medicine, Birmingham.
Send this page to your mobile phone by scanning this code using a 2D barcode (QR Code) reader. These can be installed on most modern Smart Phones.