I did a first degree in Chemistry at Reading then an MSc in Oceanography at Southampton before starting work for the Clyde River Purification Board (now part of SEPA) in Glasgow as an assistant marine chemist. I then moved to Bermuda working for the Bermuda Biological Station initially on coastal pollution and latterly also on nutrient and trace metal element offshore. I completed a PhD from Southampton on this work and came to UEA in 1985 as a lecturer and I am still here and now a Professor. I was director of the Laboratory for Global Marine and Atmospheric Chemistry (LGMAC) 2001-2007. I was appointed as NERC Theme Leader for Earth System Science in 2007-2012. I have been a member of the Earth and Environmental Sciences REF panel. I am currently a member of the DEFRA Scientific Advisory Council. I was awarded the Challenger medal by the UK Challenger Society in 2006, became a Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry in 2012 and a Fellow of the American Geophysical Union in 2016.
University of Reading, 1974, B.Sc. (Hons.) Chemistry with subsidiary Geology, First Class
University of Southampton, 1975, M.Sc. Oceanography
1986, Ph.D. Oceanography.
Thesis. Studies of trace elements in the Sargasso Sea and the mid Atlantic Bight.
1975-1979: Assistant Marine Chemist, Clyde River Purification Board, Glasgow, U.K.
1979-1983: Research Assistant, Bermuda Biological Station, Bermuda.
1983-1985: Research Associate, Bermuda Biological Station, Bermuda.
1985-1993: Lecturer, School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia.
1993-1998: Reader, School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia.
1993- British Association Media Fellow at BBC World Service Science Unit.
1998- Professor, School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia.
2001-2007: Director UEA Laboratory for Global Marine and Atmospheric Chemistry.
2007-2012: NERC Theme Leader for Earth System Science.
2014 August 1- November 5: Head of School of Environmental Sciences
<- Page 1 of 7 ->
What proportion of riverine nutrients reaches the open ocean?,
in Global Biogeochemical Cycles
pp. 39–58Full Text UEA Repository
A re-evaluation of the magnitude and impacts of anthropogenic atmospheric nitrogen inputs on the ocean,
in Global Biogeochemical Cycles
pp. 289–305Full Text UEA Repository
Direct and indirect effects of estuarine reclamation on nutrient and metals fluxes in the global coastal zone,
in Aquatic Geochemistry
pp. 337-348Full Text UEA Repository
Drivers of summer oxygen depletion in the central North Sea.,
pp. 1209-1222Full Text UEA Repository
Aerosol isotopic ammonium signatures over the remote Atlantic Ocean,
in Atmospheric Environment
pp. 165–169Full Text UEA Repository
Carbon dioxide and ocean acidification observations in UK waters. Synthesis report with a focus on 2010–2015,
University of East Anglia, UKFull Text
Atmospheric transport of trace elements and nutrients to the oceans,
in Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A
article no. 20150286Full Text UEA Repository
Atmospheric Deposition of Soluble Trace Elements along the Atlantic Meridional Transect (AMT),
in Progress in OceanographyFull Text UEA Repository
Dissolved oxygen dynamics during a phytoplankton bloom in the Ross Sea polynya,
in Antarctic Science
pp. 362-372Full Text UEA Repository
The importance of atmospheric deposition for ocean productivity,
in Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics
pp. 481-501Full Text UEA Repository
Estimation of the atmospheric flux of nutrients and trace metals to the Eastern Tropical North Atlantic Ocean,
in Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences
pp. 4029–4045Full Text UEA Repository
Atmospheric trace metal concentrations, solubility and deposition fluxes in remote marine air over the south-east Atlantic,
in Marine Chemistry
pp. 45-46Full Text UEA Repository
Ocean processes at the Antarctic continental slope,
in Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences
article no. 20130047Full Text UEA Repository
The role of iron sources and transport for Southern Ocean productivity,
in Deep Sea Research Part I: Oceanographic Research Papers
pp. 82-94Full Text UEA Repository
Nutrient transport through estuaries: The importance of the estuarine geography,
in Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science
pp. 215–229Full Text UEA Repository
Coastal Zone Ecosystem Services: From science to values and decision making; a case study,
in Science of the Total Environment
pp. 682–693Full Text UEA Repository
The distribution of iodide at the sea surface,
in Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts
pp. 1841-1859Full Text UEA Repository
Western Pacific atmospheric nutrient deposition fluxes, their impact on surface ocean productivity,
in Global Biogeochemical Cycles
pp. 712-728Full Text UEA Repository
Megacities and Large Urban Agglomerations in the Coastal Zone: Interactions Between Atmosphere, Land, and Marine Ecosystems,
pp. 13-28Full Text UEA Repository
Tracing estuarine organic matter sources into the southern North Sea using C and N isotopic signatures,
pp. 9-22Full Text UEA Repository
<- Page 1 of 7 ->
Key Research Interests
My research interests focus on ocean biogeochemistry particularly two aspects.
In the first of these we measure on ships and at land sites atmospheric inputs to the ocean of metals and nutrients and try to understand their impacts on ocean biogeochemistry. This leads to a broader interest in the cycling of nutrients and carbon in the surface ocean.
In the second aspect we try to quantify nutrient flows through estuaries and coastal waters now and in the past and use this information to support coastal management, particularly in relation to management of intertidal habitats working with ENV Environmental Economists.
Jickells T and Moore C.M. (2015) The importance of atmospheric deposition for ocean productivity. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 46, 481-501 DOI: 10.1146/annurev-ecolsys-112414-054118.
Lin, C.T., Jickells, T.D., Baker, A.R., Marca, A. and Johnson, M.T. (2016) Aerosol isotopic ammonium signatures over the remote Atlantic Ocean. Atmos. Environ. 133, 165-169.
Moore, C.M., Mills, M.M., Arrigo, K.R., Berman-Frank, I., Bopp, L., Boyd, P.W., Galbraith, E.D., Geider, R.J., Guieu, C., Jccard, S.L., Jickells, T.D., la Roche, J., Lenton, T.M., Mahowald, N.M., Maranon, E., Marinov, I., Moore, J.K., Nakatsuka, T., Oschlies, A., Saito, M.A., Thingstad, T.F., Tsuda, A., Ulloa, O. (2013) Processes and patterns of oceanic nutrient limitation. Nature Geoscience. 6(9) 701-710, doi:10.1038/ngeo1765.
Baker, A.R., Adams, C., Bell, T.G., Jickells, T.D. and Ganzeveld, L. (2014) Estimation of atmospheric nutrient inputs to the Atlantic Ocean from 50°N to 50°S based on large-scale field sampling: Iron and other dust-associated elements. Global Biogeochem. Cycl. 27(3) 755-767, doi: 10.1002/gbc.20062.
Ussher, S.J., Achterberg, E.P., Powell, C., Baker, A.R., Jickells, T.D., Torres, R. and Worsfold, P.J. (2014). Impact of atmospheric deposition on teh contrasting iron biogeochemistry of the South and North Atlantic Ocean. Global Biogeochem. Cycl. DOI: 10.1002/gbc.20056.
Jickells T. D., Andrews J. E., Parkes, D.J., Suratman, S., Aziz, A.A. and Hee, Y.Y. (2014) Nutrient transport through estuaries: The importance of the estuarine geography. Est. Coastal Shelf Sci. in pressJohnson, M.T., Greenwood, N., Sivyer, D.B., Thomson, M., Reeve, A., Weston, K., Jickells, T.D. (2012) Characterising the seasonal cycle of dissolved organic nitrogen using Cefas SmartBuoy high-resolution time-series samples from the southern North Sea. Biogeochemistry DOI: 10.1007/s10533-012-9738-8.
- Queste, B.Y. , Fernand, L., Jickells, T.D., Heywood, K.J. (2012) Spatial extent and historical context of North Sea oxygen depletion in August 2010. Biogeochemistry DOI: 10.1007/s10533-012-9738-8.
- Jickells, T.D. and Weston, K (2011) Nitrogen Cycle – External Cycling: Losses and gains. In Wolanski E and McLusky DS, (eds.) Treatise on Estuarine and Coastal Science, Vol 5, pp 261-278 Waltham: Academic Press.
- Andrews JE, Jickells TD, Adams CA, Parkes DJ, and Kelly SD (2011) Sediment Record and Storage of Organic Carbon and the Nutrient Elements (N, P, and Si) in Estuaries and Near-Coastal Seas. In: Wolanski E and McLusky DS (eds.) Treatise on Estuarine and Coastal Science, Vol 4, pp. 9–38. Waltham: Academic Press.
- Baker, A.R., Lesworth, T., Adams, C., Jickells, T.D. and Ganzeveld, L. (2010) Estimation of atmospheric nutrient inputs to the Atlantic Ocean from 50°N to 50°S based on large-scale field sampling: Fixed nitrogen and dry deposition of phosphorus. Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 24, GB3006,doi:10.1029/2009GB003634.
- Shi, Z., Krom, M.D., Bonneville, S. Baker, A.R., Jickells, T.D. and Benning, L.G. (2009) Formation of iron nanoparticles and increase in iron reactivity in mineral dust during simulated cloud processing. Environ. Sci. Technol. 43, 6592-6596.
- Jickells, T.D.. Liss , P.S. Broadgate W., Turner S., Kettle, A.J. Read, J. Baker, J. Cardenas, L.M., Carse F, Hamren-Larssen, M., Spokes, L., Steinke M., Thompson A., Watson A., Archer S.D., Bellerby R.G.J., Law C.S Nightingale., P.D., Liddicoat M.I., Widdicombe C.E., Bowie A., Gilpin L.C., Moncoiffe´ G., Savidge G., Preston T., Hadziabdic P., Frost T., Upstill-Goddard R., Pedro´s-Alio ´ C., Simo´ R., Jackson A.,. Allen A., DeGrandpre M.D. (2008) A Lagrangian biogeochemical study of an eddy in the Northeast Atlantic.Progress in Oceanography 76, 366-398.
- Duce, R., LaRoche, J., Altieri, K., Arrigo, K., Baker, A., Capone, D., Cornell, S., Dentener, F., Galloway, J., Ganeshram, R., Geider, R., Jickells, T., Kuypers, M., Langlois, R., Liss, P., Liu, S., Middleburg, J., Moore, C,M,, Nickovic, S., Oschlies, A., Pedersen, T., Prospero, J., Schlitzer, R., Seitzinger, S., Sorenson, L., Uematsu, M., Ulloa, O., Ward, B and Zamora, L. (2008) Impacts of atmospheric nitrogen on the open ocean. Science 320, 893-897.
- Shepherd, D., Burgess, D., Jickells, T., Andrews, J., Cave, R., Turner, R.K., Aldridge, J., Parker, E.R. and Young, E. (2007) Modelling the effects and economics of managed realignment on the cycling and storage of nutrients, carbon and sediments in the Blackwater estuary UK. Est. Coastal Shelf Sci. 73, 355-367.
- Boyd, P.W., Jickells, T., Law, C.S., Blain, S., Boyle, E.A., Buessler, K.O., Coale, K.H., Cullen, J.J., deBaar, H.J.W., Follows, M., Harvey, M., Lancelot, C., Levasseur, M., Owens, N.J.P., Pollard, R., Rivkin, R.B., Sarmiento, J., Schoemann, V., Smetacek, V., Takeda, S., Tsuda, A., Turner, S. And Watson, A.J. (2007) Mesocale iron enrichment experiments 1993-2005: synthesis and future directions. Science 315, 612-617.doi:10.1126/science.1131669
- M. Mahowald, P. Artaxo, A.R. Baker, T.D. Jickells, G. Okin, J.T. Randerson & A. Townsend. (2005). Impacts of biomass burning and land use on Amazonian atmospheric phosphorus cycling and deposition,Global Biogeochemical Cycles 19, GB4030, doi:10.1029/2005GB002541.
- Jickells T.D., An, Z.S., Andersen, K.K., Baker, A.R., Bergametti, G., Brooks, N., Cao, J.J., Boyd, P.W., Duce, R.A., Hunter, K.A., Kawahata, H., Kubilay, N., laRoche, J., Liss, P.S., Mahowald, N., Prospero, J.M., Ridgwell, A.J., Tegen, I. and Torres, R. (2005) Global Iron Connections Between Desert Dust, Ocean Biogeochemistry and Climate, Science 208, 65-71. doi: 10.1126/science.1105959
- Weston, K., Jickells, T.D., Fernand, L. and Parker, E.R. (2004) Nitrogen cycling in the southern North Sea: consequences for total nitrogen transport. Est. Coastal Shelf Sci. 59, 559-573. doi: 10.1016/j.ecss.2003.11.002
- Jickells, T. D., Kelly, S. D., Baker, A. R., Biswas, K., Dennis, P. F., Spokes, L. J., Witt, M., Yeatman, S. G. (2003) Isotopic evidence for a marine ammonia source. Geophys. Res. Lett. 30(7) doi: 10.1029/2002GL016728
Publications: EPrints Digital Repository
I teach on environmental chemistry courses in Year 1 (Earth as a chemical system), Year 2 (Chemical Oceanography) and Year 3 (Pollution Toxicology and Chemistry.
I have co-written two text books:
An Introduction to Environmental Chemistry (2nd edition published 2004) Andrews, Brimblecombe, Jickells, Liss and Reid) Blackwell’s and Marine Geochemistry 3rd edition (published 2012) Roy Chester and Tim Jickells Wiley
- NERC Theme Leader for Earth System Science 2007-2012
- Director of Research (January-June 2014)