While it is human economic activity which has resulted in the major global environmental problems facing present and (to a greater extent) future generations, it is clear that reform of that economic activity provides the only viable solution to such problems.
My interests lie in attempting to achieve this reform by bringing the environment into everyday decision making whether at the highest level, by informing government policy, or at the supermarket checkout by ensuring that prices reflect the true resource costs of production.
Much of my research therefore seeks to value the true cost of pollution and the true worth of environmental improvements.
- Lead author on 'Bringing Ecosystem Services into Economic Decision-Making: Land Use in the United Kingdom' published in Science 5 July 2013 (Vol. 341 no. 6141 pp. 45-50 DOI: 10.1126/science.1234379). To read the Abstract and Full Article click here and to download a reprint click here.
- OBE awarded in the 2013 New Years Honours list "for services to Environmental Science and Policy".
- Fellow of the Royal Society of the Arts (FRSA)
- Fellow of the Society of Biology (FSB)
- I am Director of the Centre for Social and Economic Research on the Global Environment (CSERGE). Based at the University of East Anglia, CSERGE is a leading interdisciplinary research centre in the field of sustainable development and decision making. Recently completed research projects include: ChREAM (land use); AQUAMONEY (water quality); VERHI (impacts on child health).
- In 2011 I was awarded a Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit Award. Jointly funded by the Wolfson Foundation and the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS), the scheme aims to provide universities with additional support to enable them to attract to this country or to retain respected scientists of outstanding achievement and potential. http://royalsociety.org/news/New-WRMAs-announced
- I am also Principal Investigator of the ESRC Social, Economic and Environmental Research (SEER) Large Grant award which seeks to put the ecosystem services approach to decision analysis into practice.
- As Principal Investigator of the NERC Valuing Nature Network, I oversee the network which brings together natural scientists, economists, social scientists, the policy community and business leaders to provide an integrated basis for environmental decision making.
- I led the Economics team for the UK National Ecosystem Assessment (NEA) and lead the workpackage on Economic Value of Ecosystem Services in its second phase.
- I am the only economist on the Defra Science Advisory Council which provides independent advice and challenge to the Chief Scientific Adviser and Ministers on the science underpinning a range of Defra policies and supports the Chief Scientific Adviser in the oversight of all Defra expert scientific committees.
- I am a member of the HM Treasury and Defra Natural Capital Committee, which was established in 2012 to help government to ensure the value of England’s natural capital and its potential to support growth is fully taken into account in decision-making. The Committee will provide advice on the state of English Natural Capital to the Economic Affairs Cabinet Committee, chaired by the Chancellor of the Exchequer.
- Member of the Board of the UK Joint Nature Conservation Committee
- Member of the Natural Environment Research Councial (NERC) Strategic Programme Advisory Group.
Key Research Interests
Land use change and its consequences; Interdisciplinary assessment and economic valuation of natural capital and the ecosystem services it provides to society; The formation and valuation of preferences for non-market goods and services; Working with policy and decision makers in the public and business sectors to address real world natural capital issues and their impact upon society.
- Awarded OBE for services to environmental science and policy 2013
- Chief Editor "Environmental and Resource Economics"
- Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit Award 2011-2016
- Member of the H.M. Treasury Natural Capital Commitee
- Member of the Defra Science Advisory Council
- Director of the Centre for Social and Economic Research on the Global Environment (CSERGE) 2012 - ongoing
- Head of Economics for the UK National Ecosystem Assessment 2009-2011
- Principal Investigator of the ESRC Large Grant: Social, Economic and Environmental Research (SEER) 2010-2015
- Principal Investigator of the NERC Valuing Nature Network (VNN) 2010 - ongoing
- Adjunct Professor of Agricultural and Resource Economics, University of Western Australia, Perth ongoing
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Economics, University of Waikato Management School, New Zealand ongoing
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Economics, Lincoln University, New Zealand ongoing