My academic background is in human geography and since I moved to UEA in 1990 I have been involved in a range of projects concerned with applications of GIS, landscape visualisation software and statistical techniques.
At present I have a particular interest in issues of future rural land-use change, including research on renewable energy systems funded by the UK Energy Research Centre (http://www.ukerc.ac.uk) and the Social, Economic and Environmental Research (SEER) project into Multi-Objective Land Use Decision Making funded by the ESRC (http://www.cserge.ac.uk/current-research-projects/seer). I am also co-leader of the Wensum Demonstration Test Catchment project (http://www.wensumalliance.org.uk) funded by Defra and the Environment Agency.
- 1977 - 1980: Undergraduate Student, Department of Geography, UCW Aberystwyth.
- 1980 - 1983: PhD Student (SSRC Studentship), Department of Geography, UCW Aberystwyth.
- 1983 - 1984: Research Associate, Department of Geography, University of Lancaster.
- 1984 - 1990: Teaching Fellow, Department of Geography, University of Lancaster.
- 1990 - 1996: Lecturer, School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia.
- 1996 - 2005: Senior Lecturer, School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia.
- 2005 - 2007: Reader, School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia.
- 2007 - Date: Professor, School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia.
- 2010 - Date: Deputy Head of School, School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia.
<- Page 1 of 6 ->
Economic Assessment of the Recreational Value of Ecosystems: Methodological Development and National and Local Application
in Environmental and Resource Economics
pp. 233-249Full Text UEA Repository
The availability of land for perennial energy crops in Great Britain
in GCB Bioenergy
pp. 99-107Full Text UEA Repository
Bringing Ecosystem Services into Economic Decision-Making: Land Use in the United Kingdom
pp. 45-50Full Text UEA Repository
Rapid Loss of Cambodia's Grasslands
in Conservation Biology
pp. 245-247Full Text UEA Repository
Biophysical suitability, economic pressure and land-cover change: a global probabilistic approach and insights for REDD+
in Sustainability ScienceFull Text UEA Repository
Farm-level assessment of CO and NO emissions in Lower Saxony and comparison of implementation potentials for mitigation measures in Germany and England
in Regional Environmental Change
pp. 825-841Full Text UEA Repository
Developing a simplified geographical information system approach to dilute lahar modelling for rapid hazard assessment
in Bulletin of Volcanology
pp. 1-16Full Text UEA Repository
Ecosystem services : Response
pp. 421-422Full Text
Using sound to represent uncertainty in UKCP09 data with Google Maps API : Using sound to represent uncertainty in UKCP09 data with Google Maps
in Atmospheric Science Letters
pp. 220-226Full Text UEA Repository
Geographical Information System Approaches for Hazard Mapping of Dilute Lahars on Montserrat, West Indies.
in Bulletin of Volcanology
pp. 1337-1353Full Text UEA Repository
Public opinion on energy crops in the landscape: considerations for the expansion of renewable energy from biomass
in Journal of Environmental Planning and ManagementFull Text UEA Repository
High-speed Loss of Cambodia's Grasslands; Biodiversity and Livelihoods at Risk.
in Conservation BiologyUEA Repository
Renewables in Residential Development: An Integrated GIS-based Multicriteria Approach for Decentralized Micro-renewable Energy Production in New Settlement Development: A Case Study of the Eastern Metropolitan area of Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy.
in Energy, Sustainability and Society
pp. 10Full Text UEA Repository
Assessing CO2 and N2O Emissions and Implementation of Climate Protection on Farm Scale.
in Regional Environmental ChangeUEA Repository
Future deforestation drivers in an Amazonian ranching frontier
in Journal of Land Use Science
pp. 365-393Full Text UEA Repository
Economic Values from Ecosystems
In: The UK National Ecosystem Assessment Technical Report.
Using Sound to Represent Uncertainty in UK Climate Predictions 2009 Data: Communication of UncertaintyUEA Repository
Learning how to deal with values, frames and governance in Sustainability Appraisal
in Regional Studies
pp. 1157-1170UEA Repository
The assimilation of dioxins and PCBs in conventionally reared farm animals: Occurrence and biotransfer factors
pp. 815-822Full Text UEA Repository
Identifying the catchment size at which robust estimations of agricultural land use can be made, and implications for diffuse pollution modelling
in Applied Geography
pp. 919-929Full Text UEA Repository
<- Page 1 of 6 ->
Key Research Interests
Applications of Geographical Information Systems (GIS) and statistical methods in the environmental sciences, particularly with respect to landscape planning and visualisation; catchment management, renewable energy and environmental economics.
Publications: EPrints Digital Repository
Since joining UEA in 1990 I have contributed to courses on environmental epidemiology, public health, regional planning, waste management, catchment management, research skills and geographical information systems (GIS). My teaching responsibilities now focus mainly on GIS, landscape planning and catchment management.
- Session Chair, Digital Landscape Architecture 2014, ETH Zurich - May 2014
- Plenary Speaker, International Conference on Environmental and Occupational Health (ICEOH) 2014, Putrajaya, Malaysia - April 2014
- Steering group member for the UKERC Energy Futures under Uncertainty Flagship project - 2012-2014
- Editorial Board Member: Health and Place - 2005-2010
- Editorial Board Member: Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design - 2004-2008
- Chair of the Geography of Health Research Group of the Royal Geographical Society-Institute of British Geographers (RGS-IBG) - 2002-2005
- Member of the Steering Committee for the GIS Research UK (GISRUK) conference series. Organiser of the 2004 conference held at the University of East Anglia in April 2004 - 2000-2007
- Editorial Board Member: Computers, Environment & Urban Systems - 1997-2008
- Secretary/Treasurer of the Quantitative Methods Research Group of the Royal Geographical Society-Institute of British Geographers (RGS-IBG) - 1991-1994
- Deputy Head of School
- Director of Finance
- BSc Geography Programme Director