My academic background is in human geography and since I moved to UEA in 1990 I have been involved in a range of projects concerned with applications of GIS, landscape visualisation software and statistical techniques.
At present I have a particular interest in issues of future rural land-use change, including research on renewable energy systems funded by the UK Energy Research Centre (http://www.ukerc.ac.uk) and the Social, Economic and Environmental Research (SEER) project into Multi-Objective Land Use Decision Making funded by the ESRC (http://www.cserge.ac.uk/current-research-projects/seer). I am also co-leader of the Wensum Demonstration Test Catchment project (http://www.wensumalliance.org.uk) funded by Defra and the Environment Agency.
- 1977 - 1980: Undergraduate Student, Department of Geography, UCW Aberystwyth.
- 1980 - 1983: PhD Student (SSRC Studentship), Department of Geography, UCW Aberystwyth.
- 1983 - 1984: Research Associate, Department of Geography, University of Lancaster.
- 1984 - 1990: Teaching Fellow, Department of Geography, University of Lancaster.
- 1990 - 1996: Lecturer, School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia.
- 1996 - 2005: Senior Lecturer, School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia.
- 2005 - 2007: Reader, School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia.
- 2007 - Date: Professor, School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia.
- 2010 - Date: Deputy Head of School, School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia.
Key Research Interests
Applications of Geographical Information Systems (GIS) and statistical methods in the environmental sciences, particularly with respect to landscape planning and visualisation; catchment management, renewable energy and environmental economics.
Publications: EPrints Digital Repository
Since joining UEA in 1990 I have contributed to courses on environmental epidemiology, public health, regional planning, waste management, catchment management, research skills and geographical information systems (GIS). My teaching responsibilities now focus mainly on GIS, landscape planning and catchment management.
- Session Chair, Digital Landscape Architecture 2014, ETH Zurich - May 2014
- Plenary Speaker, International Conference on Environmental and Occupational Health (ICEOH) 2014, Putrajaya, Malaysia - April 2014
- Steering group member for the UKERC Energy Futures under Uncertainty Flagship project - 2012-2014
- Editorial Board Member: Health and Place - 2005-2010
- Editorial Board Member: Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design - 2004-2008
- Chair of the Geography of Health Research Group of the Royal Geographical Society-Institute of British Geographers (RGS-IBG) - 2002-2005
- Member of the Steering Committee for the GIS Research UK (GISRUK) conference series. Organiser of the 2004 conference held at the University of East Anglia in April 2004 - 2000-2007
- Editorial Board Member: Computers, Environment & Urban Systems - 1997-2008
- Secretary/Treasurer of the Quantitative Methods Research Group of the Royal Geographical Society-Institute of British Geographers (RGS-IBG) - 1991-1994
- Deputy Head of School
- Director of Finance
- BSc Geography Programme Director