Frequently Asked Questions Frequently Asked Questions

I'm a continuing student. What is a Training Pathway and do I have to do it?

  • Guidance on the transitional arrangements for the new Training Pathway system, which will replace the credit requirement, can be found here.

I've found a course, but I can't enrol from the course catalogue. What should I do?

  • Enrolment is made through e:Vision. Refer to our enrolment pages for further guidance.

Why can't I see the credits of all of the activities I have done on e:Vision?

  • E:vision only records PPD modules and events with module codes. You should record any external activities, such as courses or conferences on your Annual Review.  The PPD modules on e:Vision and the record of external or experiential activities jointly form your credit total.

How do I record activities that do not have PPD module codes?

  • You will find a set of forms to help you plan and record different types of external activities in the section of this site on recording your development.

How do I know if an activity is eligible for PPD credits?

I have recently produced a publication. Can I receive PPD credits for this activity?

  • If you have undertaken training on preparing publications, or you can demonstrate a self-directed learning experience that helped you to publish, then yes. The Faculty does not allocate credits for a publication per se. If you require further guidance, contact

Can I receive PPD credits for research conducted away from the University?

  • The Faculty does not provide credits for research per se.  However, if you have undertaken a course or preparatory training in using certain archives or information resources these could be considered.

As part of my research, I have to be away from the University for several months. Does this mean that I will miss out on credits?

  • The Faculty is aware that many postgraduate research students have to travel for research and cannot attend PPD sessions. There is some flexibility with credits during such periods, and the opportunity to catch up on PPD activities either at the part-time training weekend or in the following academic year.

I want to learn a language. How do I find out about courses?

  • Guidance on language courses provided at UEA and seeking advice on external courses, can be found under the Languages at UEA webpage.

I need specialist IT skills, does the Faculty's PPD programme provide this?

  • The Faculty does not provide training in specialist software. For guidance on other sources of training, please refer the the ITCS Training webpage.

What other training opportunities are there outside the University?

  • Many institutions, such as libraries, archives and other universities, as well as museums and galleries, run workshops. The National Centre for Research Methods also has a website and directory of training courses that arts and humanities students might find useful: